prowess

Skilled Metalsmith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 09:16 AM

Gentlemen:

I am seriously considering the Lincoln precision tig 185

wondering if anyone here had experience. Pros/cons etc.

Thanks in advance!

#2 PeteW

PeteW

Skilled Metalsmith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 12:57 PM

I too have been considering one. If you find anything out Prowess, please pass it along.
Thanks,
Pete

#3 arcdawg

arcdawg

Metal Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 04:16 PM

its a nice machine and it will work well for a long time but its kinda low on the amperage......if its thin gauge you are going to be using it for then id defently consider it !!

look into a syncro 250 from miller for bigger material usage
the aim of art is to represent not the outward apperance of things but their inward significance

*Aristotle*

#4 prowess

prowess

Skilled Metalsmith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 08:33 PM

Thanks Dawg. Simple, elegant, and precise advice!

From another site, I got a lot of responses. Some pro, some con. Everyone has their fave mah-chine for TIG, but most agreed that the Lincoln 185 was not too shabby. Sure, there are always a few that are going to tell you "Don't buy it!", but everyone has their own opinions and requirements from a TIG machine.

THREE issues for sure. One, no inverter. two, air cooled torch, three not enough HP for the thick stuff.

For what WE (maybe just I) do (metal art) I don't see these as a huge deal. But I do not have the time with TIG that some may. I have not run TIG too often, so to me, I really can't tell the difference between inverter/non inverter machines. I want to use it mostly for metal art fab. Most of the stuff will be thin. I don't know if I can add water cooling to the torch. Perhaps.

I guess Lincoln has disco'd this model, so some places are blowing it out for $500 to $800 off list.
my LWS is charging $1500 with kit. NO CART. Cart is $180 additional. I will get the cart. Too convenient. Believe me, my LWS is NOT known for low cost items, so this is a good price point for them. The reason I do business with them even though they charge a premium is that they stand behind their sales, and SERVICE what they sell ON SITE.

Thanks again for the feedback gents.

#5 tommyguns

tommyguns

Metal Master

• Metal Artist Forum Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 02:34 PM

I have a Lincoln 175 aircooled tig/stick machine. Have had it for many years. The best thing about these is the capabilites of super low amperages, making it very nice for art work. You'll not be sorry with your purchase.
What does the kit include?

#6 arcdawg

arcdawg

Metal Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 03:43 PM

thats a good price but hold out a bit if you can.......Id say if you can get it for 1500.00 (with cart) jump on it....

I have used the machine twice and I was impressed with it....I really like the built in pulse (esp for those with little or no tig experiance)

dawg
the aim of art is to represent not the outward apperance of things but their inward significance

*Aristotle*

#7 PeteW

PeteW

Skilled Metalsmith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 05:14 PM

Great info guys, thanks for sharing. I just stopped by a welding supply shop in town because the "Lincoln Winter Super Sale" sign out front caught my eye. They are selling the new Precision TIG 225 ready pack with cart for $1790, how does that sound? I've been trying to find a good deal on the 185 for so long that I am considering just biting the bullet and going for this deal.
Pete

#8 prowess

prowess

Skilled Metalsmith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:35 PM

Dawg and Tommy:
Thanks.
Tommy, the kit is basically the torch, reg, hose, flowmeter, etc. All the "stuff" you need to get started.

Pete:
Yikes!
That's a pretty sweet deal. But as I said, my LWS is not known for low cost. They are known for support and service after the sale, so I don't mind paying a premium. No matter what happens, even if I hit the machine with my anvil, they'll work with me to fix it for free (under warranty) or for a very reasonable cost by THEIR service personnel on site. Kind of like the old.... you only get what you pay for.... saying.

With CART/TAX/KIT et all out the door, I am at $1900
That's about $50 more (by the time you tax up) than you would be paying Pete, AND you are getting more amps. But, I am amazed my LWS has even gone as low as they have. They are throwing in a bunch of tig rod, a few tungsten tips, etc. Can't compalin too much. I'm just glad to have a Tig Finally. I have everything else. MIG/STICK/Flux Core Wire machine, O/A, Plasma. TIG was the last, and other than O/A, the most required by my needs with Metal Art.

I'd say go for it! I will be happy with my 185. It's more machine than I ever expected.

#9 PeteW

PeteW

Skilled Metalsmith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 01:05 PM

Thanks for the input Prowess. I called around town and the only other place that carried it was asking $2070 for the same package. So it sounds like this is a great deal. And I live in Oregon with no sales tax so the $1790 is out the door cost. I would just need a bottle of gas and some consumables. Now I am just trying to convince myself to spend that kind of money!

#10 prowess

prowess

Skilled Metalsmith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 01:13 PM

Pete:
Well, I picked up the Precision Tig 185 this morning. the new ToyL (combination Tool and Toy) is in the shop. This is my first Lincoln product. Seems to have the "expected" quality and features that you would expect for a machine at this cost point.

I decided to BUY a bottle of ARGON rather than rent/lease (the LWS threw in the first fill for free) so I was actually $2090 out the door with tax. Again, I probably could have found a better deal, but my LWS is worth the extra cost. Plus, he actually made me up a STICK welding cable and stinger, and threw in a TON of Tig rod for all sorts of alloy for free.

I am reading the manual now. Will probably "fire it up" after dinner tonight. Will give you my first impression later tonight or early tomorrow.

I understand the $$ concern. I really need a new anvil and should have spent $500 there, but I have needed a TIG for so long, could not resist any longer!

Prowess

#11 arcdawg

arcdawg

Metal Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 03:58 PM

^ plus when you get good with tig welding everyone in the neighborhood with a boat, bike or hot rod will be at your garage asking you to weld up something....

I first used the 185 out at the factory and thought for under two grand it was a damn fine deal....

good luck

dawg

*Aristotle*

#12 PeteW

PeteW

Skilled Metalsmith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 06:20 PM

Congratulations on the new ToyL Prowess! By the way I love the term, I think that one is going in the vocabulary. So after a lot of pondering and a "just go buy it" from my wife, she probably was tired of hearing me talk about it, I decided to take the plunge as well. I went to the shop late this afternoon and bought the 225. With the machine, a bottle of argon, and some consumables it cost me $1975. I never thought I would spend that much money on a ToyL (that word is perfect, I can't help but use it). The only problem is I couldn't fit it in my car so I had to get it delivered. And since it was just before closing and they aren't open weekends I have to wait until next week to get it! Oh well, I've been waiting for a few years to get a TIG so a few more days won't kill me, it will just feel like it will.
Pete

#13 prowess

prowess

Skilled Metalsmith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 08:39 PM

Thanks for the input Dawg! I agree. It's a GREAT machine for the $$.

Pete, you did great.
I paid that for the 185! And you got more machine. Congrats!

You're gonna LOVE that toyL!!!!! I put mine IN-SERVICE this evening. NICE machine.
Smooth, easy to operate.

You'll love the Auto Balance! No worries between cleaning action and penetration on the arc! Just set it for Auto Balance and FORGET IT.

The Micro Start is superior. NO problem getting the arc going at all. I MEAN AT ALL. Simplicity itself. Just START pushing the footpedal and you have ignition sequence!

Finally, you'll LOVE the pulse control. Really nice. Adjustable from 0 pulse to about 35 pps I think. It's getting late so I am not sure about the top end. Too tired to walk back out to the shop. With pulse engaged, the ripples are sweet. Almost robotic in nature. I think for metal art, I'll keep the pulse off and go with molten flow for esthetics.

Anyway, it's a nice machine. Since you have 40 more amps in reserve than my machine, what this really means is you have a better duty cycle. I find myself (for aluminum AC on 1/8 inch) running 115 to 125 amps, at least to get the work hot enough to sustain a puddle without backing off on amps. Puts my duty cycle at around 60 percent. You'll be at 75 or 80 percent duty with your increased amperage threshold. That will come in handy some day for you.

One thing:
I did not have ANY copper sitting around to form the "perfect' tungsten sphere on the electrode. All of my copper is gone to artwork. Tomorrow, I have to get some copper and get a nice ball on the end of the electrode, and I bet that even makes the arc smoother then ever. There is probably another way to form a nice sphere on the electrode other than by using the "copper work, DC plus electrode" method, but I don't know how. I was trained to sphering with copper.

Let me know how you like it when you get it! My bet is YOU WILL BE IN LOVE with that toyL!

ENJOY! I did!

Prowess

#14 arcdawg

arcdawg

Metal Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 05:55 PM

All of you rich guys make me sick LOL.......

guess I gotta start selling some of my artwork -

dawg

*Aristotle*

#15 prowess

prowess

Skilled Metalsmith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 09:26 PM

Not to worry dawg.

All good things come to those who wait....and I waited a very long time before pulling the tigger trigger. Glad I finally did. Like O/A, I wonder how I ever got along this far without it in my shop.

Just need a decent anvil and a forge and my studio will be complete. More or less.
Is it ever truly complete?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users