#1 ShawnM

ShawnM

Local Sheriff

• Moderators
  • 4,139 posts
  • LocationGeneva, FL

Posted 03 December 2006 - 07:15 AM

From another forum, how-to on making a rose

Bill B., is this similar to your method?
ShawnM
Super DUPER Moderator

‎Reality leaves a lot to the imagination ~ John Lennon

Visit my website: Soleil MetalArts
Facebook Fan Page

#2 SW Designs

SW Designs

Skilled Metalsmith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 11:01 AM

That was cool[Beer]

#3 boilerman

boilerman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 05:18 AM

That was cool[Beer]

Thanks...........

#4 prowess

prowess

Skilled Metalsmith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 05:33 AM

Thanks.

The roses I made have been free hand and experimental. No pre fab planning at all.
I will try this design next weekend.

#5 Spiderwebdesigns

Spiderwebdesigns

User of Flame

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 08:21 AM

I had some sheet brass that is now in the form of squares. Just tring to get the layout right.

Thanks
Rick Sidebottom
www.spider-webdesign.net - Custom Functional and Fine Art
www.ironsidewelding.com - Hand Forged Ornamental Metal

When you see good metal work you want to touch it and see if the texture is real, and it is. That comes from heat and hammer, tool and pressure, and you can't fake that. - Rick Sidebottom

#6 prowess

prowess

Skilled Metalsmith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 09:35 AM

Spider:

Terriffic idea. I have some brass lying around, and have never done roses with brass.
Nice.

Let us know the progress. Post pics please!

Thinking about this as part of a Christmas gift for my wife.

Thanks.

#7 ornametalsmith

ornametalsmith

Ornamental metalsmith

• Metal Artist Forum Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 11:38 AM

fwiw, here's the pattern I use. I've changed the way I make the calyx, now all five are attached like each layer of flower petals

..And some stainless and a copper rose. [hysterical]
rosepattern.jpg RosesStainless:Copper2349.jpg

[hysterical]I don't recommend the stainless, tuff stuff [Beer][hysterical]
Bill
http://www.CustomDesignMetalArts.com/
http://www.FloridianForge.com/

Class/Workshop info:
http://www.customdes...com/studio.html
Specializing in: Teaching and Making
hand forged and cast works of Metal Art.
Crafted with the utmost attention to detail.
For discriminating tastes and opulent surroundings

Posted Image

#8 Bill B.

Bill B.

Metal Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 06:16 PM

Hi All,

Shawn, (and boilerman on other list at least), that was cool. I like the results.

Most of mine are done cold of 22 gauge. I did one at the 2004 metalmeet from 18 gauge on a helve hammer, and six by hand from 20 gauge that was supposed to be 22g. The sections are 16, 14, 12 and 10" in diameter. I have shaped many on a sand bag and shop made wooden hammer, the edges turned down on a crude shop made dolly. Since about this time last been using a small yoder like guided way hammer (photo attached). The pedals are shaped on different diameter steel balls (from King Arch.) welded to stems as a bottom die; and a 80 durometer polyurethane upper die.

The pattern for the pedal sections are very similar to what ornametalsmith posted.

Attached Thumbnails

• miniyoder.jpg

Bill
Posted Image

#9 Spiderwebdesigns

Spiderwebdesigns

User of Flame

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 10:25 PM

[hysterical] I had no idea i was so mathematically challenged. Trying to fit a pentagon in a square is harder than I thought. Thanks to Canvas X I was able to get it done.

This is a first attempt and is on 28 ga. (i think) brass sheet.

swd04120003.jpg
swd04120001.jpg

Maybe the next one will much faster, this one took about 4 hours counting screw ups and what not.
Rick Sidebottom
www.spider-webdesign.net - Custom Functional and Fine Art
www.ironsidewelding.com - Hand Forged Ornamental Metal

When you see good metal work you want to touch it and see if the texture is real, and it is. That comes from heat and hammer, tool and pressure, and you can't fake that. - Rick Sidebottom

#10 ShawnM

ShawnM

Local Sheriff

• Moderators
  • 4,139 posts
  • LocationGeneva, FL

Posted 05 December 2006 - 04:38 AM

That was cool[Beer]

Thanks...........

Hey boilerman, thanks for chiming in. Hope you didn't mind the cross-post. It's a good (and entertaining) how-to.
ShawnM
Super DUPER Moderator

‎Reality leaves a lot to the imagination ~ John Lennon

Visit my website: Soleil MetalArts
Facebook Fan Page

#11 boilerman

boilerman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 05:33 AM

That was cool[Beer]

Thanks...........

Hey boilerman, thanks for chiming in. Hope you didn't mind the cross-post. It's a good (and entertaining) how-to.

I don't mind ...but was shocked that it happen so fast

#12 Duckworth

Duckworth

Finger Masher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 06:04 AM

[Beer]nice rose Spider[Beer]

#13 Matt Weber

Matt Weber

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,522 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 05 December 2006 - 07:10 AM

I have an electronic copy of a rose template very similar to Bill's. If it survived the great laptop crash of 2006 I'll post it here.

#14 Bill B.

Bill B.

Metal Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 07:14 AM

Hey boilerman,

That's a real nice rose! Didn't figure out you are the maker. The edges of the pedals look very cool.

About the pentagon from a hexagon; what about a square nearly cut into smaller squares with the corners of each rounded? Maybe a bit of a point on some of the pedals. I've done a single that way, bet it would look interesting with multiple sets.

That would be cool Matt; the one I have is trapped on my old computer. The wood patterns don't photograph well.
Bill
Posted Image

#15 warrent

warrent

Torch Lighter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts
  • LocationTrenton, MI

Posted 05 December 2006 - 07:59 AM

When ever I see posts about making roses sure brings back some very old memories.It surprises me how so many have interest in making roses. I too had that interest at one time. Lets see must of been back in 1973 I made my first rose.Little story here, I was at one of those art fairs in a small park in a small little town. Not a big crownd and kind of slow. The booth (well not a booth but a table and lawn chair) next to me plated flowers. Yep gold, silver and etc. He would spray paint the flower with aluminum paint, which I guess had actual metal in it and then it would have the ability to conduct electricity for plating.
Well his flowers were pretty expensive but beautiful and drawing some interest. Him and I started talking and he asked how come I did not make any roses from copper. Well back then I had no idea. He told me that when he first started plating flowers he would use cheap plastic ones from the 5 and dime. Anyhow across the stree was a Ben Franklins (a 5 and dime) and I took a little break to visit. Sure enough they had some plastic roses. Bought a couple and went back to my booth to play. I use to take my torch along to keep myself busy and also to help keep up with inventory. So me and him tore a rose apart. Layed it out on some copper and cut the petals out.Looks just about the same pattern as Bills. Little slow cutting and everything but figured out how to make one. When I got er done, did a little heat patina to make red. Sure enough sold it for $8 bucks a half hour later.
When I got home after the show I decided to make some more. Now instead of taking the tin snips and painfully cutting out the petal shapes I decided to try something a little different..............use the O/A torch. If done correctly it will melt the copper pretty well, secret though on how you have to adjust the flame. Made up a dozen roses, using 3/32 gas rod for the stems, a little brass shim stock for the leaves and I was in business.So from then on I have been taking a vase full of roses to the art fairs. I call it my gas money because some of the shows it was about all you could sell. The torch cut ones I was selling for $3 each back then.
Warren Townsend
http://www.metalrecipes.com

Metal recipe - "heat and beat to the desired shape, repeat as necessary"
If you're gonna be original, you can count on being copied.

#16 boilerman

boilerman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 08:46 AM

Hey boilerman,

That's a real nice rose! Didn't figure out you are the maker. The edges of the pedals look very cool.

About the pentagon from a hexagon; what about a square nearly cut into smaller squares with the corners of each rounded? Maybe a bit of a point on some of the pedals. I've done a single that way, bet it would look interesting with multiple sets.

That would be cool Matt; the one I have is trapped on my old computer. The wood patterns don't photograph well.

only one way to find out ...try it ...don't ask me ...just do it

#17 blboise

blboise

Skilled Metalsmith

• PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 05:34 PM

I have an electronic copy of a rose template very similar to Bill's.If it survived the great laptop crash of 2006 I'll post it here.

Are you looking for this file:rosepattern.jpg

I made this a couple of weeks ago -- no O/A unit, so just formed with brute force using a pair of needle nose pliers.Very sore hands when I was done.I think this was 20 Ga sheet.My wife was amazed that what looks like those 60's flowers folks stuck on their VW's could come out like a rose.

Bob

Rose 2.jpg Rose 1.jpg

#18 Bill B.

Bill B.

Metal Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 09:42 PM

Hi Bob,

Those are cool looking roses. I like the pattern too, would be real good for hand cutting with all the clearance.

Hey Spider,

Cool looking brass roses. I made one and took way too much time on it. They look so nice though and make priceless gifts.
Bill
Posted Image

#19 Matt Weber

Matt Weber

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,522 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 07 December 2006 - 01:14 PM

Here's the template. It's not the best but its fine for tracing.

I recommend making a master set from 16ga sheet metal or fiber board for easy tracing.

Rosepetal Template.jpg

I usually free hand the opened leaf behind the rose bud.

#20 saign charlestein

saign charlestein

creator of cool

• MAF Retail Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 01:25 PM

cool demo I think it solved some christmas present issues

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users