No replies to this topic

#1 Jones

Jones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Cal.

Posted 23 December 2017 - 05:45 PM

Anybody out there doing electro-etching with the felt-faced electrode and stencil process?
I've got a small etching job and want to try my hand at this and have a stencil made by IMG to use on mild steel tubing.

My processes in the past have been in a plastic tub w/ the work piece connected to my power supply positive and a sheet of the same material, large enough to cover the area to be etched, as the negative. Insulated stand-offs separate the two and maintain a set distance apart.

This new-to-me method uses a hand-held felt cloth faced negative polarity piece, dipped into the electrolyte then held against the stencil taped to the work piece which is connected to the positive side of the power supply.

All my experience has been with using the same metal as the work piece i.e. Copper negative when etching copper, steel negative when etching steel, etc. Same with electrolyte; ferrous sulfate in the solution for steel, copper sulfate for copper or brasses.

All the blade etching articles call for brass for the hand-held piece and some form of a salt water / vinegar electrolyte.

Past experience says that the hand-held piece should be steel for steel etching and to lace the electrolyte with ferrous sulfate.

Anybody got ideas, suggestions, past experiences they could share?

Miracle Machine Works

"If It's a good part, It's a Miracle".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users