4 replies to this topic

#1 Jones

Jones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Cal.

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:37 PM

I need to replace two gas tank filler necks that were soft soldered on. For a little extra strength I want to use 2% silver solder on the replacement necks I machined. There are remnants of the soft solder on the tanks and I'm wondering if I can go over those traces of soft solder or if I have to remove every last bit of the old solder. Tanks are new, never had gas in them and the first set of necks were soldered on about a year ago so everything is new, bright metal.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Miracle Machine Works

"If It's a good part, It's a Miracle".

#2 ggraham

ggraham

Skilled Metalsmith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:06 AM

What kind of heat are you using?

how thick is the tank and the neck?

#3 Jones

Jones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Cal.

Posted 01 July 2016 - 07:58 AM

Propane or MAPP gas Bernz-o-matic hand torch.

Tanks are new reproductions and look like they're 16ga. Necks are machined out of new steel.

I made the necks 1 1/2" dia. and designed with a flange to protrude down into the tank about .125". Flanges are .075" thick, w/ .100" wide shoulder that seats against the tank surface.

The joint will be like attaching a flanged bushing to sheet metal. I figured the nose of the piece sticking down into the tank an eighth of an inch would be more secure than just a surface mount joint.

Miracle Machine Works

"If It's a good part, It's a Miracle".

#4 ggraham

ggraham

Skilled Metalsmith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 05:52 AM

I would heat the tank neck area  and the neck up until solder was liquid, then brush off with wire brush, if you have some flux, then use this and re solder. if you are going to use silver solder, then use the appropriate flux.

brass brazing is also an option but not sure if your heat sources get hot enough to braze weld.

what about TIG or MIG?

#5 nobodyspecial

nobodyspecial

Metal Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationMarietta, Ga

Posted 02 July 2016 - 09:31 AM

Been a long time since I played w that stuff much, but agree w ggraham. I'd worry a bit about silver solder being strong enough, and it can be prone to cracking, but if it lasted before...on the other hand, once it's held gasoline, a quick fix like brazing it becomes a lot more difficult.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users