Photo

trouble seeing lines....any suggestions?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bryan

bryan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 08:58 AM

I'm having trouble seeing lines I've marked and want to follow with the plasma cutter.  I have a Hypertherm shade 6 I'm looking thru and glasses under with the right magnification - but the problem isn't clarity, it's seeing the lines I want to follow at all.......I'm usually looking thru shade 9 when welding and have similar challenges but the light sources seem to work well enough though still not great.

I'm doing metal sculpture work mostly and often working on curved surfaces with irregular lines - I use/make templates and guides whenever possible but that's not often, and would spend more time making one-off templates than would be practical.  

I've tried markers of all colors, etching, every marking pencil and material available thru the local welding store and online, and every combination of near and far lighting I can think of...including LED mounted on the face shield (which helps the most).  Have tried pushing and pulling the torch - can see better when pushing but have better control when pulling.  

I've had my eyes checked and I do have diminished night vision they say it's not to a degree that it would be the main problem.  Can anyone suggest a more reflective marker I might try, better lighting alternatives, or anything else that might help?  any suggestions would be appreciated.

*****just read a post just below this one that discusses the problem at length so my apology for posting here - will try all the specific ideas in that post and update here if no luck......thanks.

#2 trying-it

trying-it

Metal Master

• Moderators
  • 699 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:59 PM

Bryan, Some times a new thread is great to generate new ideas!

Please post any thing new you try whether it works or not!

I am watching this new thread now too!

[smith]  Stan

#3 Metaling In Art

Metaling In Art

Metal Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • LocationRed Oak, IA

Posted 01 December 2015 - 07:09 AM

A new Plasma Cutter is my plan for a shop purchase in 2016, so I am hoping there are some great New Years Deals locally on plasma cutters.  I have a lot of ideas that I want to work on this winter, once I get through my busy season and the last few art shows in the next few weeks.  I have been looking at the other thread and am planning on watching this one also.

"Metaling In Art" is how I am starting out and this is the link on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Metaling-In-Art/334578999947190

#4 bryan

bryan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:33 PM

in reading the other thread on difficulty seeing lines to follow with the plasma cutter I noticed the number of people who recommended the silver sharpies.  I had tried a silver marker previously but didn't get very good results...... I like using the silver pencils when welding but they don't seem to be as helpful when using the plasma cutter - not sure why.....

based on the comments in the other post I thought I better try the silver sharpie idea again, so bought samples from every source available in the small town where i live.  I found that the one's from wal mart reflect better than anything I've tried so far and will focus on using them for a while........and very much appreciate the replies people posted with that recommendation!

#5 Pat Roy

Pat Roy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 08:50 AM

So far I've had the best results using a black sharpie, but it's not as good as I'd like. I've never seen a silver sharpie.

#6 Metaling In Art

Metaling In Art

Metal Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • LocationRed Oak, IA

Posted 25 February 2016 - 07:16 AM

http://www.homedepot...kQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

"Metaling In Art" is how I am starting out and this is the link on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Metaling-In-Art/334578999947190

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users