9 replies to this topic

#1 Mitri

Mitri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 20 November 2015 - 08:26 AM

I managed to get an old forklift tank from a buddy... i was hoping to cut down on some of that "tank freeze" from the little guys. but, being a noob on the subject, i did not realize that forklifts run on liquid form of propane. 

my question is, will i blow my shop up if i attempt to run liquid propane through my homemade forge? 

*my forge (built entirely from scrap) uses a air compressor regulator... (which im sure is not designed for lp in any form) would this affect anything?

i ran vapor form for hours successfully, so not too worried about the quality of my craftsmanship... ha.

any input would be greatly appreciated.... itchin to forge!

**figured id post a pic of my forge**

Attached Thumbnails

• 006.JPG

#2 nobodyspecial

nobodyspecial

Metal Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationMarietta, Ga

Posted 20 November 2015 - 03:02 PM

As I understand it, forklifts convert their liquid propane to gas by using multiple regulators, and interchanging it with a standard regulator is risky at best. 

Furthermore, using normal liquid propane gas, (think of a grill container) you would be better off with a regulator designed for it, or for welding gas, since an air compressor is built to put out high pressure, rather than consistant "low" (by comparison) pressure.

A better regulator may also help with your tank freeze, since normally it's caused by too rapid expansion.  You can also try a larger tank, immersing it partially in water, or even heating it with something either very low temp or temperature controlled. Do NOT heat the tank with anything extreme or non-temp controlled, as explosions tend to be painful. The water jacket bit alone will tend to get you a lot more life out of a tank.

#3 Mitri

Mitri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 21 November 2015 - 08:50 AM

thanks for the reply. 

hmmm... never really looked at it that way. but i suppose i should have known that lp and oxygen are two completely different animals. 

so you wouldint suggest using the forklift tank without first finding a proper regulator?

from what i read, lp in liquid form turns to vapor as soon as it makes contact with air (or not under pressure) at temps above -49f. so i didnt think it would have been a big deal. but i thought i would ask anyway. 

ps. there is a lot of information about the building process of a gas forge, but not enough about the minor details! ie. hoods, ventilation, propane and propane tanks (tank freeze etc.) so if you could point me to a right direction id appreciate it!

#4 nobodyspecial

nobodyspecial

Metal Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationMarietta, Ga

Posted 21 November 2015 - 07:51 PM

I don't do much with gas forges. I did do a lot of casting with gas for a few years, but found that lump charcoal got me to desirable temps much faster.  Most don't use hoods, and can be used inside, but I've heard that carbon monoxide can be an issue. Stan builds gas forges and might be able to help you out. As above, too much gas being drawn to fast is one of the major issues with tank freeze.

#5 trying-it

trying-it

Metal Master

• Moderators
  • 699 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:52 AM

Mitri where in Illinois do you live?

[smith]  Stan

#6 Mitri

Mitri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 23 November 2015 - 12:08 PM

Crete. About 30 miles south of Chicago.

#7 trying-it

trying-it

Metal Master

• Moderators
  • 699 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:18 AM

I live in S. IL. about 65 miles S.E. of St. Louis, Mo.

I can only try to answer some of your gas forge questions.

1 of my completed gas forges. 

May 23, 2011 149.JPG

May 23, 2011 165.JPG

[smith]   Stan

#8 Mitri

Mitri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:48 AM

Stan. I would really appreciate if you did!

Im leaning on not using the forklift tank for my forge. Im having a really hard time finding information on "liquid" form of propane being ran through a forge. So, better safe than sorry... I ran my forge on the little tank like you have (standard grill tank (20lbs?)) for hours without any problems except; one, tank freeze (no big deal, ill connect two tanks together next time) and 2, seemed to run out of gas quite fast.

Correct me if im wrong, but to fix my problems i should:

a.) Get a proper propane regulator instead of a compressor regulator.

b.) change all my dials to propane dials (is there such a thing?) so that my read-outs are correct 

c.) connect 2 small tanks or get one big one to reduce tank freeze.

d.) give up and just go back to coal forging... :(

#9 Tony Mertens

Tony Mertens

Metal Master

• Subscriber!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,428 posts
  • LocationNew Holstein, WI

Posted 25 November 2015 - 02:48 PM

Don't give up.  I use both.

#10 Feral Metal

Feral Metal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Locationnewmarket uk

Posted 01 November 2016 - 05:42 AM

Mitri, forklift tanks are designed to be used lying on their sides,be careful.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: LP, propane, Liquid, vapor, forge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users