4 replies to this topic

#1 Matt Marti

Matt Marti

Shop Sweeper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:19 AM

I spent five complete working days at Brian Brazeal's shop in Brandon, Mississippi. After I took the curriculum I was invited and joined the International Young Smith's team started by Brian and Alec Steele in the spring of 2012.

Before lunch on the first day of class we forged a hot cut hardy and a rounding hammer. That afternoon Brain demonstrated the steps to make an oval punch and finished the hot cut and hammer. The second morning we started on the top fullers and eye punches. The way Brian teaches how to make these tools is not the normal demonstration and then you go do it. He directs a stage while you strike and then Brian strikes while you direct a stage. The top fullers and eye punches allowed me to make other tools in the curriculum.  The third day we covered forging the tools to make the hammer eye pickup tongs and the tongs. That afternoon I spent drawing out the blanks and fussing with them. Day four we started off by doing the first bend and habbermen bend. One of my blanks was a little crooked so while correcting it I burned off about 2 inches of the jaw portion. Though in the big picture it was not a big deal but at the time it was very demoralizing. Brian had an extra blank that he matched up with my good blank. By the end of the day I had a pair of tongs and a forged to finish drift. For day five Mikael Jury came out to work with me. In the morning we started out by forging farriers hammer and forged the one remaining bottom fuller I needed after Brian made the other one. The last tool we made together was a forged to finish flatter out of 1 1/2" car axle and about 7 inches long. 

Here is the photo album http://imgur.com/a/TqRwm

#2 nobodyspecial

nobodyspecial

Metal Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationMarietta, Ga

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:40 AM

I love it. All of it. Everything that you made except the chihuahua. :D

#3 freezinweasel

freezinweasel

Skilled Metalsmith

• Moderators
  • 168 posts
  • LocationDurants Neck, NC

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:10 AM

Looks like you had a great stay. Very nice tools.

! Corinthians 3:13-14 But on the judgement day, fire will reveal what kind of work each builder has done. The fire will show if a persons work has any value.If the work survives, the builder will receive a reward.

#4 WinDancer

WinDancer

Skilled Metalsmith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationScenic Tenino, WA

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:12 PM

Brian puts on quite a learning experience- plus gets you set up with some first class tools and the ability to make more. Very wise investment in your smithing future. Congrats!

Dave

Dave Evans

NW Washington State

#5 Scott Carl

Scott Carl

Skilled Metalsmith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Ne

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:44 PM

I love it. All of it. Everything that you made except the chihuahua. :D

Whats wrong with the dog. Looks like he did a wonderful job making it. I could hardly tell it wasn't real [HAHA]

"...the reason for living was to get ready to be dead a long time." William Faulkner

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: forged to finish, tools

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users