Tony Mertens

Metal Master

• Subscriber!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationNew Holstein, WI

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:59 PM

Note to self -

Next time you buy coal sweep all of the sand out of the dump truck first. [Doh!] [Doh!] I'm thinking that's why I seem to get a lot of klinker. The amount varies depending on where I dig into my coal pile. Maybe I should get into making glass. [Laugh]

#2 PTsideshow

PTsideshow

• Moderators
  • 8,479 posts
  • LocationMount Clemens,Mi

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:36 PM

It might help, but generally clinker content has to do with the make up and type of coal. It also can do with the way it is fired, but you are burning a lot less at one time than I did in the boilers! Posted Image
glen

Posted Image

"I am not ashamed to admit, that I am ignorant of the things I do not know"!

Cicero

I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!

All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

#3 knots43

knots43

Metal Master

• Metal Artist Forum Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationNorth Western Virginia

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:18 AM

I don't know if this will be helpful or not but it may be worth trying if the problem really is sand contamination.

Years ago when our guild bunker got low the last of the coal and fines were pretty dirty. So when we we got to that point we set what was called a wet fire. What we did was put those leavings in a bucket , fill the bucket with water and stir it vigorusly, let it settle and use the resulting drained slurry to pack the fire pot with a lining of wet coal ( except for the bottom inch or so which was thought to contain the settled contaminates) . Dry coal was heaped on after the news paper and kindleing was in place and the fire started. The wet packed coal coked up nicely and a lot quicker than one might think.

The lesson learned from that experience brought to light a reaization that coal when wetted and dried sitll burns without noticeable degradation .

Although this seems unlikely to have been done only by our group I must admit that I have never seen this any where else. However having had this experience, If I had a load of contaminated coal that was causing me a LOT of trouble I would probably perform a washdown test on a small batch to see if there was improvement. If not it is likely to be the coal .

Edited by knots43, 11 August 2012 - 10:22 AM.

#4 trying-it

trying-it

Metal Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:34 AM

I will have to take pics and post a few showing the giant clinkers I get when forge welding monster billets using only lump hardwood charcoal.

Not all clinker formed is from the coal.  [Doh!]

Note: I do also forge with W. Va. type coal here too, same supply as the SIU smithy. 

Stan

#5 trez

trez

old soul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:41 PM

it all depends on the coal I have had great coal with some clinkers but the deeper I got in the barrel the more clinkers. I had some that looked like sedimentary rock and the volume of clinkers was not to be believed. It is not an exact science. Years ago I used a bunch of anthracite coal it was cheep $7.00 for 100# no clinkers the problem it came in grapefruit chunks. its all about the seam. The coal I have now Peter Ross swears by it but I have had mixed reviews about it. I guess if you could sift all the dust out of it you would have better luck but I would loose 20% 

LongFellow; His brow is wet with honest sweat,He earns whate'er he can,And looks the whole world in the face,
For he owes not any man.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users