2 replies to this topic

#1 Naturalsteel

Naturalsteel

Skilled Metalsmith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:50 AM

Hey, I feel a little dumb asking this as it’s something I think I should know the answer to. I’m thinking about adding some (fake) gold leaf to a forged steel piece. Do I just use the sizing they usually sell for leaf over wood etc. or is there something else I should be thinking of? Also, since the piece will be lacquered and I’m using SN metal dyes should I start with one layer of lacquer to seal it under the leaf? I might be over thinking it but I’d love to know what you all think.

Thanks
Robert
Robert Carter
Naturalsteel.com
The fact that nobody understands you dosen't make you an artist.

#2 moose

moose

Skilled Metalsmith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationSoutheast Michigan

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:20 AM

Hey, I feel a little dumb asking this as it’s something I think I should know the answer to. I’m thinking about adding some (fake) gold leaf to a forged steel piece. Do I just use the sizing they usually sell for leaf over wood etc. or is there something else I should be thinking of? Also, since the piece will be lacquered and I’m using SN metal dyes should I start with one layer of lacquer to seal it under the leaf? I might be over thinking it but I’d love to know what you all think.

Thanks
Robert

Is this a piece you want to last? I have and use 1-Shot brand quick size. The size they sell at the craft stores I have not had much luck with. As far as covering it I would not think you would need to seal under it but the fake gold needs to be covered to last outside.

Tim

Tim Stachlewitz
metalcraft by moose

https://www.facebook/metalcraftbymoose

#3 PTsideshow

PTsideshow

• Moderators
  • 8,479 posts
  • LocationMount Clemens,Mi

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:01 AM

If you are speaking of composite or patent leaf (brass) they have the leaf in copper, gold and silver aluminum sheets and flakes. along with an acrylic size and most of the other stuff brushes @ Micheal's plus you can go to the Micheal's web site and get a discount coupons. Hobby lobby some of them stock the same materiel the acrylic stuff is a lot faster to get the job done and isn't effected by humidity, the way regular stuff is and can take 12 hours to get the correct tackiness.
hobby lobby coupon

Here is the companies web site Mona lisa simple leaf

michaels site

this is the product and you can get it from dick Blick This is the stuff i used on the lantern

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Finished aged to look lost in a cave.
glen

Posted Image

"I am not ashamed to admit, that I am ignorant of the things I do not know"!

Cicero

I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!

All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users