• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Promethium

Promethium

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:21 AM

Hi Gentleman from Ireland. I have been working in copper and pewter for about six months, have just joined the forum, wishing to say Hallo. Hallo there!! Wondering you know about what I can offer. Patinas are my speciality, I refuse to buy them....I love chemistry and pretty much can hold my own in this field so I make all my own chemicals. Now I am freely available to answer any questions and swap recipes, tha's if anyone needs to, after all I am only six months in, but have spent so many hours experimenting.

Now the one thing I am after is the purple or purple violet range. I tried some of the recipes that I found on the net, actually there are only two recipes. But they do not work really that well. I can get a LOS purple but not exactly what I need. Chemicals are superior in that you can exercise real control, and above all, predictability and consistency. Heta does not bring me purple very well and besides, I need to brush purple on in certain areas so both heat and LOS are a little short changed here.

So, to start off...anyone have any suggestions they might care to share and anything I can do in return?

Kind regards

#2 ShawnM

ShawnM

Local Sheriff

• Moderators
  • 4,144 posts
  • LocationGeneva, FL

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:49 AM

Hi and Posted Image to MAF.

I assume you've looked here? Also Ganoksin has some info and links on patinas of various colors.

Personally I would probably just use solvent dye Posted Image but that doesn't meet your homegrown requirement.

It would be great if you posted up some of your favorite recipes/effects, along with photos of the result.
ShawnM
Super DUPER Moderator

‚ÄéReality leaves a lot to the imagination ~ John Lennon

Visit my website: Soleil MetalArts
Facebook Fan Page

#3 Promethium

Promethium

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:59 AM

Hi and Posted Image to MAF.

I assume you've looked here? Also Ganoksin has some info and links on patinas of various colors.

Personally I would probably just use solvent dye Posted Image but that doesn't meet your homegrown requirement.

It would be great if you posted up some of your favorite recipes/effects, along with photos of the result.

SORRY, how I posted twice I have no idea...

Hallo Shawn, thanks for the welcome. Yes I am familiar with both sites. theGanoskin one is for bronze and I wouldnever use ferrocyanide though it is asked for in many formulas for copper, I will always find a substitute or work around, chemically speaking. The Science site is the formula that I have tried, it produces a purple right at the start but then fades straight away into a blue. I am actually experimenting with their formula because I think that they have not given good measurements, the NACL is rather redundant here in solution, anyway. Yes I will post some photos but first need more time to organise, after all still a newbie at the metal game.

Regards
Chris

#4 AvishaiW

AvishaiW

Metal Master

• Subscriber!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • LocationHaifa, Israel

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:26 PM

Posted Image aboard Chris. Expect a lot of fun in MAF, and please share...

Avishai

https://www.facebook...9872656?fref=ts

http://www.ancientme...ng.blogspot.com

http://www.wassermann.co.il

"He who works with his hands - is a laborer,
He who works with his hands and his head - is a craftsman.
He who works with his hands, his head and his heart - is an artist."
St. Francis of Assisi

#5 Promethium

Promethium

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:36 PM

Posted Image aboard Chris. Expect a lot of fun in MAF, and please share...

Thanks Avisha, I really need something little more inspirational than my rather amateurish experiments at the moment. Too much chemistry going on. But will upload when ready. I began by wanting to build a homemade furnace, seem to have a little blacksmith blood in me, unfortunately things are not easy to come by here in Ireland, more to the point my backyard, I soon realised, was not going to be adequate, lack of room, neighbours and well I can not trust myself with DIY in this area. Did so much reasearch on how to build a furnace etc and the crucibles that I waould need but all came to nothing, so I took up what I could do, sopastone, pewter and copper with a bit of silver. I am not in to Jewelry making, made some nice brooches for my wife, but found this too limiting, I needed bigger and more freedom to express, more of an artist really than a jewelry designer, besides, I got frustrated at the finiglety finger acrobatics needed, a bit like an elephant trying to do ballet.

#6 warrent

warrent

Torch Lighter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts
  • LocationTrenton, MI

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:15 PM

Chris welcome to MAF. I too play a little bit with the chemicals to get my patinas. Lots of trial and error over a few years. Purple is a very sensitive color to get but possible. Heat and application are the real challenges. Here is one of my copper panels done with one of my purples, the frame is painted with acrylic paints I mix to match the patinas. Sorry my formula is not available, so just keep on trying...............remember temperatures.

purple.jpg
Warren Townsend
http://www.metalrecipes.com

Metal recipe - "heat and beat to the desired shape, repeat as necessary"
If you're gonna be original, you can count on being copied.

#7 Promethium

Promethium

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:13 AM

Hi there Warrent, just noticed that I am a shop sweeper. Mmm, had to laugh. That is really very well done, I like it, and just the sort of purples that I am looking for, just one question, judging by the metallic look I aasume that was all done with heat, did you mix in a bit of chemical brushing as well. This is what I am experimenting with. I am doing a large butterfly and while I can get beautiful colours via heat and potassium polysulphide, I am needing to place a part of the body under Nh3 and then use the Potassium polysulphide to brush on at the outer wings. (my Liver of Sulphur substitute, it works much better than the real stuff I think because you can have really great control very very cheap and endless supply and no waste) . Anyway your frames art is very stunning.

Just went to your website, had a brief look but will look again later, how long have you been doing this?

#8 warrent

warrent

Torch Lighter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts
  • LocationTrenton, MI

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:33 AM

It is not done just by heat, I use a chemical mix, but using at the right temperature of the metal is where you get the colors. I have been doing the metal art thing for over forty years. Good luck.
Warren Townsend
http://www.metalrecipes.com

Metal recipe - "heat and beat to the desired shape, repeat as necessary"
If you're gonna be original, you can count on being copied.

#9 AlbertaPete

AlbertaPete

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 08:09 PM

I have a daughter that is into making jewelry with copper and is really quite good at it . She has been trying to come up with a way to turn copper green without having to resort to harsh chemicals . nay information would be appreciated.

#10 Teenylittlemetalguy

Teenylittlemetalguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 09:26 AM

Using shakedown alloy instead of straight copper is expensive but will give you the possibility of fantastic purples.
I am just searching for one divine hammer
- the Breeders

#11 Teenylittlemetalguy

Teenylittlemetalguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 09:27 AM

Using shakedown alloy instead of straight copper is expensive but will give you the possibility of fantastic purples.

Dang auto correct. The alloy is shakudo. 4% gold in with copper.
I am just searching for one divine hammer
- the Breeders

#12 crquack

crquack

Metal Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 08:09 PM

I have a daughter that is into making jewelry with copper and is really quite good at it . She has been trying to come up with a way to turn copper green without having to resort to harsh chemicals . nay information would be appreciated.

Define "harsh chemicals". You can buy commercial preparations. Ammonium chloride works nicely. I use vinegar or salt with ammonia fumes but tend to get more blue than green. Cat's pee is favoured by some. Google is your friend :-)

#13 blboise

blboise

Skilled Metalsmith

• Metal Artist Forum Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:12 PM

Cat's pee is favoured by some. 

But it is so hard to train them to pee in a bottle!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users