3 replies to this topic

#1 WildHareDesign

WildHareDesign

Shop Sweeper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:21 AM

I put a penny thru a rolling mill and embossed it with lace. When I polished it the edges turned silver color and the center was still copper color. I have tried to duplicate this effect with no success/Any ideas what happened.

#2 PTsideshow

PTsideshow

• Moderators
  • 8,479 posts
  • LocationMount Clemens,Mi

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:15 AM

Pennies up to 1982 were mostly copper (95%), 1982 till current are(97.5% zinc) they issues both types in 82 there is a weight difference. Could be by rolling the edges thin and then polishing you remove the copper layer?
Posted Image
glen

Posted Image

"I am not ashamed to admit, that I am ignorant of the things I do not know"!

Cicero

I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!

All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

#3 WildHareDesign

WildHareDesign

Shop Sweeper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:23 PM

You are dead on with your comment. I took a newer penny and sure enough it happened. Thanks for the help.

#4 Tom Maringer

Tom Maringer

• MAF Retail Sponsor
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:23 AM

You are dead on with your comment. I took a newer penny and sure enough it happened. Thanks for the help.

Yes indeed! And if you are looking for a cheap alternative to mokume, all the recent dimes, quarters, and half-dollars are clad... meaning they have a pure copper core layer and cupronickel (75% Cu, 25% Ni)outer layers. So you can take any recent quarter or half dollar and distort it in some way, then carefully sand off the features, and when you reach the core you'll get a beautiful interface between the red copper and the white cupronickel. Then it's all about how you do the distortion to develop your pattern, just like pattern-welded damascus steel... but the materials are right there in your pocket.

Edited by Tom Maringer, 29 July 2012 - 12:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users