6 replies to this topic

#1 familyman

familyman

Shop Sweeper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:34 PM

does everyone have problems with having to replace the grates on the table allot?

#2 PTsideshow

PTsideshow

• Moderators
  • 8,479 posts
  • LocationMount Clemens,Mi

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:16 PM

[Welcome] They get cut every time it is used, The more it is used the more it will have to be replaced. If the amperage is too high then the cuts in the grating will be deeper. It is a never ending cycle and in a way the grating could be considered a consumable of the plamsa table. [Welcome]
Posted Image
glen

Posted Image

"I am not ashamed to admit, that I am ignorant of the things I do not know"!

Cicero

I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!

All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

#3 blboise

blboise

Skilled Metalsmith

• Metal Artist Forum Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:14 PM

I guess I don't know what you mean by "a problem".

When I built my table, I made it so the grate slats could first be turned over, then replaced if and when needed. I've been using my table now for about 5 years and have only had to weld one grate slat back together when I was doing some Ace/Ox cutting and got a bit carried away and sliced it in half. I usually don't do as much damage with my plasma. I have turned over my slats in the middle part of the table where I do most of the cutting.

My slats are 1/8" X 1" strap set in 1 1/2" square tubing making up a square frame with "slits" made so they drop into the cuts and can be pulled up, moved around,flipped over or replaced as needed.

With the 1" depth of the slats, I haven't had a problem of cutting through them in general.

Hope that helps.

bob

#4 familyman

familyman

Shop Sweeper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:24 PM

does everyone have problems with having to replace the grates on the table allot?

my table is pretty new, how much $ would it take to replace the slats on a 4x4 table?

#5 blboise

blboise

Skilled Metalsmith

• PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:12 PM

my table is pretty new, how much $ would it take to replace the slats on a 4x4 table?

Need more information. How far apart are the slats? Will 1/8" wide stock fit? Can you purchase the stock "by the pound" in 20 foot sections or do you have to buy the stock from a Big Box store?

Bob

#6 familyman

familyman

Shop Sweeper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:30 PM

Need more information. How far apart are the slats? Will 1/8" wide stock fit? Can you purchase the stock "by the pound" in 20 foot sections or do you have to buy the stock from a Big Box store?

Bob

there are twenty slats about 2" apart....... 11G

#7 blboise

blboise

Skilled Metalsmith

• PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:06 PM

there are twenty slats about 2" apart....... 11G

Okay -- so 11 gauge is 0.125 inches which is 1/8" so 1" flat should do. You need 80 feet or 4 - 20 foot lengths. My last purchase (about 6 months ago) the cost was about $8.75 a stick. So IF you can buy in 20 foot sections (have them cut 12 feet and 8 feet not in half for hauling -- or at least in something dividable by 4 feet) and not from a Box store, it should come out around $36.00.

Hope that helps.

Bob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users