#1 Tony Mertens

Tony Mertens

Metal Master

• Subscriber!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,283 posts
  • LocationNew Holstein, WI

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:53 PM

My power hammer likes to walk around sometimes. It all depends on the adjustment. I can't anchor it because I have in floor heat. I was getting tired of playing like an Egyptian and prying it up and sticking pipes under it to roll it back. I got to thinking and looking around the shop for parts. I came up with this method. It's self contained so I can't loose the parts. Also with floor space at a premium I can move it a lot easier to make room for something else. I can't decide if this project was "brilliant" moments or just means I have too much time on my hands lately. [Doh!]

DSCN6298.JPG DSCN6300.JPG DSCN6302.JPG

#2 PTsideshow

PTsideshow

• Moderators
  • 8,479 posts
  • LocationMount Clemens,Mi

Posted 09 December 2011 - 04:30 PM

[Punk]Brilliant [Punk]
glen

Posted Image

"I am not ashamed to admit, that I am ignorant of the things I do not know"!

Cicero

I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!

All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

#3 macbruce

macbruce

Skilled Metalsmith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:52 PM

Pretty slick! I more or less do the same thing with my layout tables with the two center wheels....easy to turn.... [Happy]

#4 AvishaiW

AvishaiW

Metal Master

• Subscriber!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • LocationHaifa, Israel

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:17 PM

Very nice idea.[Beer] [Beer] [Beer]

Avishai

https://www.facebook...9872656?fref=ts

http://www.ancientme...ng.blogspot.com

http://www.wassermann.co.il

"He who works with his hands - is a laborer,
He who works with his hands and his head - is a craftsman.
He who works with his hands, his head and his heart - is an artist."
St. Francis of Assisi

#5 ArtWerkz

ArtWerkz

Metal Master

• Metal Artist Forum Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 03:21 AM

Mother of invention, nice solution.
Maybe in future you could rig up an anchor system to and exterior wall ? Something you could just hook the hammer to when you were using it to avoid the "walk".
www.cbblacksmiths.com

www.firehouseironworks.com

The Blacksmith and the Artist reflect it in their art, forge their creativity, closer to the heart.- Rush

#6 Tony Mertens

Tony Mertens

Metal Master

• Subscriber!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,283 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:14 AM

Mother of invention, nice solution.
Maybe in future you could rig up an anchor system to and exterior wall ? Something you could just hook the hammer to when you were using it to avoid the "walk".

I would have to anchor it in two directions. One day it walked into my small stomp shear. Then it started moving in a different direction. It really isn't too much of an issue. This will just make it easier to move around even if I just want to make room for something else, which I may have to do this week when my brother the farmer brings me a larger "non art" project.

#7 trinculo

trinculo

Shop Sweeper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:14 AM

A bead of silicone under the hammer will keep it from walking and can be removed with thin wire and a pry bar.

#8 Tony Mertens

Tony Mertens

Metal Master

• Subscriber!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,283 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:49 AM

A bead of silicone under the hammer will keep it from walking and can be removed with thin wire and a pry bar.

I thought about that but decided I'd like to be able to move it easily if I need to re-arrange the shop for something. If I ever decide exactly where I want it I may still do that.

#9 Rich Waugh

Rich Waugh

Metal Master

• Metal Artist Forum Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • LocationU.S. Virgin Islands

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:22 PM

That's a good solution to the problem of making it easily moveable, Tony.

It looks like your hammer has about a ten inch throw on the crank Pittman arm - is that correct? The rest of the hammer isn't shown so I'm wondering how it is set up. It's a Rusty-style spring helve, I assume? Looks like a nice heavy anvil mass, what is the tup weight?
The older I get, the better I used to be.

http://www.caribbeanblacksmith.com

#10 Tony Mertens

Tony Mertens

Metal Master

• Subscriber!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,283 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:20 PM

Rich - yes it's a Rusty. It has a 7" throw. Sometimes I wish it was more and that I had more space between the upper and lower dies. Oh well. Sometimes when using a spring swage it will stall out in the open position. But if I remove the bottom flat die and rest the tooling right on the anvil it works pretty good. The top weighs 55 lbs. without the die. The whole thing weighs in at just over 1000 lbs. figured out mathmatically. Here is a link to the building process if you're interested. Power Hammer Build

For some reason that link doesn't seem to work. Not sure if it's because it is to a post from before the forum upgrade. If you want to look for it it is under tools and equipment and titled Mechanical Power Hammer Build WIP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users