blboise

Skilled Metalsmith

• Metal Artist Forum Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:28 PM

I might need one of these: http://www.harborfre...-saw-68316.html

Although this review makes me think twice:
"I have the equivalent tool (appears identical, and has same specs). The plunge and multi-directional cutting is as good as the ad says, but I've found it to be only marginally useful in materials other than wood and plastic. To cut metal you need a lubricating wax stick installed, and the blades dull up quite fast in metals other than soft aluminum. In aluminum, they quickly build up "sawdust" that has to be scraped or chipped off of the blade teeth. Replacement blades are quite pricey, too.

I strongly recommend this tool, but not if you're planning to cut primarily steel."

Anyone here have one on hand? I can't find replacement blades on the HF site so that worries me a bit also.

And they sent me a coupon too!

Attached Thumbnails

• dc_coupon1.jpg

#2 PTsideshow

PTsideshow

• Moderators
  • 8,479 posts
  • LocationMount Clemens,Mi

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:02 PM

I think that you would be better off with one of the regular style circular styles saws with the special carbide metal cutting blades. We have had a couple of threads on the saws and blades.
here is one thread The link in one of my posts is from the old forum and no longer working.

here is another one. they are on blades mostly.

If I remember you have the HF metal circular saw. I had a carbide blade for metal cutting and used it till it wouldn't cut any more.

The double bladed saws even Sears when the should it, it was always being used on auto body sheet metal cutting. And they do tend to pack up with the cuttings between the blades. Wood and other soft material more so than metal. I used one that somebody I know wanted to sell me, I couldn't figure out what benefit it was suppose to provide.
The trying out happened after my original post about that type of saw.

I used to buy the cheap circular saws and a good blade and when the saw wore out it was remove the blade. and junk the saw.

glen

Posted Image

"I am not ashamed to admit, that I am ignorant of the things I do not know"!

Cicero

I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!

All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

#3 Rich Waugh

Rich Waugh

Metal Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • LocationU.S. Virgin Islands

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:51 AM

I just received the double cut saw I ordered from Habba Flate a while back. When I finally get around to using it I'll report on how well it does - or doesn't. :unsure:
The older I get, the better I used to be.

http://www.caribbeanblacksmith.com

#4 blboise

blboise

Skilled Metalsmith

• PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:21 PM

I just received the double cut saw I ordered from Habba Flate a while back. When I finally get around to using it I'll report on how well it does - or doesn't. :unsure:

I'll look forward to that. I do have the "full size" metal cutting saw from HF and am pleased. This saw seemed a bit more "handy" for a quick cut off.

Thanks,

bob

#5 PTsideshow

PTsideshow

• Moderators
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:44 AM

Rich have you had a chance to play with the double cut, as this morning they have had one on the tube with one of those but wait ads for 3 easy payments, it has been on twice in close secession. I will say that they appear to be more truthful in showing what it will cut. Thicker softwoods, hardwood flooring, non ferrous thin metals, copper thin wall pipe, aluminum home despot deck plate, plastics, gutter downcomers and the forward/backward cutting along with the plunge cut. Are the main selling points in the short 60 sec infomercial.Posted Image
glen

Posted Image

Cicero

All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

#6 Rich Waugh

Rich Waugh

Metal Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:20 AM

Glen,

I've used it to cut some 16 gauge hot-rolled steel plate and it worked fine and dandy. Also on 1/8" aluminum. Noisy as can be, of course, but it gets the job done. It's a bit awkward at first, since you don't handle it just like a circular saw, but it only took me a few minutes to get the hang of it and make good cuts.

#7 PTsideshow

PTsideshow

• Moderators
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:46 AM

So no problem with the HF version for occasional light duty use, and does yours talk about using the cutting lube on the metal items? The HF is cheaper than the TV one even with the price reduction of $89.00 Ibelieve it is $119.99 plus the infamous shipping and handling charges! Posted Image

With the coupon the HF sounds like a good deal.

glen

Posted Image

Cicero

#8 PTsideshow

PTsideshow

• Moderators
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:59 AM

Just checked out the web site lead item it is on sale for $69.99 the coupon wouldn't print out on the site so I printed the screen 1st page only. Don't now if the 20% coupon can be added will find out when I hit the store tomorrow.
They also have the lube sticks now and replacement blades.
double cut saw and blades and lube

Don't think wife or daughter who is getting married this afternoon would smile on me hitting the HF store in the tux on the way to the wedding
[hysterical] [hysterical] [hysterical]
glen

Posted Image

Cicero

#9 Rich Waugh

Rich Waugh

Metal Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 01:00 PM

If you showed up at HF in a tux they'd probably think it was a raid or something! [hysterical] [hysterical]

Yeah, I lube the blades when I cut metal of any kind (well, really all I use the thing for is cutting sheet metal), though I use a graphite lube stick I have for my bandsaw rather than the little lube sticks they sell for the double-cut saw. I just take a quick little nip into the big stick with the saw and then cut away. I think the lube sticks for the saw are probably a good thing if the price is right, since the holder thingie is right there on the saw so you don't have to stop to lube the blade. Lube makes a huge difference when cutting the 3000-series aluminum - you know how gummy that crap is, but it is fun to forge and form.

Edited by Rich Waugh, 05 November 2011 - 01:01 PM.

#10 blboise

blboise

Skilled Metalsmith

• PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:24 AM

When I got the ad/coupon yesterday I went back and read the reviews on the HF site. For cutting metal, they were not good! Talked a lot about the saw over heating. Right now this tool has dropped a bit from my must have list -- mainly cause I have enough things to cut with I guess.

Bob

#11 PTsideshow

PTsideshow

• Moderators
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:01 AM

Well you have to take the reviews with a shovel full of salt as some people are trying to use them as a pro tool 12 hours a day. One guy on another forum claimed he writes cramp reviews just because he knows that all HF stuff is crappy. Of course he has a better crystal ball then the rest of us.Posted Image
glen

Posted Image

Cicero

#12 Rich Waugh

Rich Waugh

Metal Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 03:55 PM

Bob,

If you expect it to take the place of a band saw or a table saw you'll be sorely disappointed in it, for sure. It does fine at cutting sheet metal, which is what I got it for. I use it to break down 4x8 sheet to a size that I can manage in the band saw or the brake. I don't expect it to cut 1/2" plate - that's what I use circular saw for and live with the flying hot chips. It is not an industrial tool, but it isn't a piece of crap, either.

#13 blboise

blboise

Skilled Metalsmith

• PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:20 PM

Bob,

If you expect it to take the place of a band saw or a table saw you'll be sorely disappointed in it, for sure. It does fine at cutting sheet metal, which is what I got it for. I use it to break down 4x8 sheet to a size that I can manage in the band saw or the brake. I don't expect it to cut 1/2" plate - that's what I use circular saw for and live with the flying hot chips. It is not an industrial tool, but it isn't a piece of crap, either.

Rich,

I've got their other metal cutting saw which I'm pretty happy with. That's the exact use I use it for, cutting down those 4X8 sheets to small pieces. I thought maybe the double blades would be nice, but right now it's sort of a "if it ain't broke, why buy another tool" situation.

Thanks for input. If I find myself with an extra $70 bucks I may pick one up. But that (extra $$) isn't likely soon.

It is nice to get an "honest" review by trusted folk to know it "isn't a piece of crap..." That gives me some confidence to spend those $$$$.

Bob

Edited by blboise, 06 November 2011 - 07:22 PM.

#14 PTsideshow

PTsideshow

• Moderators
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:26 AM

Just an update picked up the saw lube sticks and extra blades yesterday, On the freight website to get the coupon to print you need to watch the video, then print the coupon It wouldn't work for me. I printed the screen with the price and date from the printer on it. Now my local HF honors the web price with proof as are all others. But your local mileage may vary, due to managers mood etc. Currently it is now up to $79.99 on today's web site. But it is in the curricular for the after Thanksgiving 3 day sale for $69.99 Posted Image
glen

Posted Image

Cicero

#15 trez

trez

old soul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:10 AM

diablo makes a 7 1/4" blade at home depot $40.00 they rock I cut a bunch of 13 gauge. it made short work of it. I bought a second and third one to have on hand. I also pushed it and cut a piece of 1" solid stock 8" long diagonal to make wedges for my power hammer with no trouble.
LongFellow; His brow is wet with honest sweat,He earns whate'er he can,And looks the whole world in the face,
For he owes not any man.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users