#1 smoresluvr

smoresluvr

Shop Sweeper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 09:17 PM

Hi there,
New to metalworking (aside from one metalworking class at the local cultural arts center), but I have a friend who has given me a learning opportunity; she gave me her ex-husband's wedding band, which is gold with a strip of titanium around it. She'd like me to make some disc-shaped earrings (a little larger than the diameter of a pencil eraser), so I'm wondering the best way to go about this. How can I separate the titanium from the gold? Or do I even have to? Do I need to anneal the ring and then cut it so I can flatten it and stretch it? Any insight at all would be appreciated. As I said, I'm new to metalworking, but I see this as an interesting opportunity to learn...and hopefully learn without rendering the ring useless scrap ;) Thanks!!

Christy

#2 PTsideshow

PTsideshow

Since I can no longer post here, I am longer doing any moderatio

• Moderators
  • 8,479 posts
  • LocationMount Clemens,Mi

Posted 12 February 2011 - 04:10 AM

[Welcome] To the forum, You may want to think about having her sell the ring. With what sounds like a limited skill and knowledge base. This might be more than you want to try. The gold depending on the alloy is one of the softest of metals, on the other hand Titanium is one of the harder materials. Its melting temperature is 3034°F

Gold depending on the alloy 10K through 24K is 1580°F -- 1945°F a oxy/fuel torch and a small crucible, you could melt it off. and remove the Titanium ring.

You also could peel the gold off the titanium ring. However, titanium loses strength when heated above 806 °F (430 °C) so annealing may help.

Not knowing what the item looks like, and the sizes etc. and how the two metals are joined. Make this all speculation. And the decision will rest on your skill level and what you feel comfortable with doing.

The finial suggestion would be for her to sell it and buy a set of earrings, of course that does nothing for you other than removing the possible headaches form this operation.
[Welcome]
glen

Posted Image

"I am not ashamed to admit, that I am ignorant of the things I do not know"!

Cicero

I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!

All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users