• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PTsideshow

PTsideshow

• Moderators
  • 8,479 posts
  • LocationMount Clemens,Mi

Posted 08 February 2011 - 06:56 AM

Since this question does come up a lot, no matter what type a forum the metal worker is dealing with. Somebody on a model engineering/machine shop forum from across the pond put the link to this site. It has some interesting tips, and good safety and health.
Silver Soldering tips

Posted Image
glen

Posted Image

"I am not ashamed to admit, that I am ignorant of the things I do not know"!

Cicero

I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!

All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

#2 bigfootnampa

bigfootnampa

Skilled Metalsmith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:18 AM

Interesting but choices are much broader than it presents. Personally I prefer to use Battern's self pickling flux for most purposes. I have had great results with it in a broad range of applications over many years of use.

#3 knots43

knots43

Metal Master

• Metal Artist Forum Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationNorth Western Virginia

Posted 11 February 2011 - 01:51 PM

Today tried to silver braze with a Benzomatic Mapp Gas torch. It didn't work. In the past I have used OXY-Acetylene and have never had a problem. Maybe my flux is old ( it was kind of dry) or is there something about the Benzomatic /Mapp torch that complicates silver brazing ?

I want to change from acetylene to propane for heating/bending Is Oxy-propane a good heat source for silver brazing ? Seems like it should work.

Bigfoot - I will try the Battern's flux if I can find some.

#4 AvishaiW

AvishaiW

Metal Master

• Subscriber!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • LocationHaifa, Israel

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:13 PM

Oxy- Propane is excellent for silver soldering. Depending on the size and thickness of the parts, different nozzles can be used.

Avishai

https://www.facebook...9872656?fref=ts

http://www.ancientme...ng.blogspot.com

http://www.wassermann.co.il

"He who works with his hands - is a laborer,
He who works with his hands and his head - is a craftsman.
He who works with his hands, his head and his heart - is an artist."
St. Francis of Assisi

#5 PTsideshow

PTsideshow

• Moderators
  • 8,479 posts
  • LocationMount Clemens,Mi

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:35 PM

You may have to go to your local jewelry supply house to find it, Battens Flux Is a Fluoride & Boric acid liquid flux. It is not recommended for copper,brasses or nickel silvers. It is also self pickling and doesn't leave a glass like slag coating. Be sure you have great ventilation when using the fluoride contain fluxes.

MAPP/AIR flame temp is about 3650'F

Depending on the material that you are trying to braze (it's heat transfer rate) and the silver bearing brazing rod content. You may not be getting it hot enough to wet and flow properly. Jewelry silver solders are a little different alloy and strength than the genral metal work silver bearing brazing rods.

One great source of information on brazing

The oxy/fuel torches are way better than just an air/MAPP/propane torch

[Welcome] to the forum
Posted Image
glen

Posted Image

"I am not ashamed to admit, that I am ignorant of the things I do not know"!

Cicero

I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!

All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

#6 knots43

knots43

Metal Master

• Metal Artist Forum Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationNorth Western Virginia

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:12 PM

Thanks for the information. I mainly use silver brazing for tasks where welding is not the best choice. Such as band saw blades, sweat joints for custom T-Nuts, etc.

Never have tried Oxy/Propane - Looks like it is time to do so. Thanks Again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users