#1 scrapartoz

scrapartoz

Skilled Metalsmith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:55 AM

hi all.
i am seeking advice from those who have had successs finding a durable finish for rusty metal sculptures. i have tried 'fish oil' which seems to last in the outside weather for about 12 months but then needs to be reapplied. there is also a darkening and subsequent losss of the rust colour.someone told me i should use automotive clear paint straight over the rust with promised long lasting results. i would prefer to maintain the colour of the rust if this is possible. Has anyone out there had good results with this matter?
cheers andrew

http://www.scrapartoz.com/index.html

Facebook : Andrew Whitehead Sculptures

#2 PTsideshow

PTsideshow

• Moderators
  • 8,479 posts
  • LocationMount Clemens,Mi

Posted 09 January 2011 - 04:01 AM

I moved your question into the forum on
preserving patinas
That is the quest for the holy grail, Nothing last for more than a couple years. No matter what the advertising hype states. Premalac is about the best. There are a number of threads on the subject in this forum. The automotive clears are discussed too.
If its going to be out side in your weather conditions UV/sun, the atuo clear with extra UV protection may be an opition.
Testing a sample will show the amount of color shift, of course all rust isn't created equal and with all the alloys of material your sculptures have you will end up with some ligher and darker sections.

You will have to go throught the threads and find what one meets your needs.
Posted Image

glen

Posted Image

"I am not ashamed to admit, that I am ignorant of the things I do not know"!

Cicero

I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!

All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

#3 AvishaiW

AvishaiW

Metal Master

• Subscriber!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • LocationHaifa, Israel

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:40 AM

As Glen posted, no laquer will be durable for a long time. Yes, laquer coats hold longer than oil but the problem is that to renew a laquer coated work is much more difficult than to re-oil a sculpture.The existing coats tend to crack with time - especially outdoors, and it is a pain to prepare the surface for a new coat. In my work (which is mainly done on brass and copper that tarnish very quickly)I insist on no laquer coat. If the client wants it I tell him to do it himself. Oil or wax are alot easier to renew.
BTW, I finally succeeded to enter your site, and you have excellent sculptures. I love your "Ballpark pricing policy" [Big Grin]

Avishai

https://www.facebook...9872656?fref=ts

http://www.ancientme...ng.blogspot.com

http://www.wassermann.co.il

"He who works with his hands - is a laborer,
He who works with his hands and his head - is a craftsman.
He who works with his hands, his head and his heart - is an artist."
St. Francis of Assisi

#4 Tony Mertens

Tony Mertens

Metal Master

• Subscriber!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,281 posts
  • LocationNew Holstein, WI

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:55 AM

I haven't tried it yet but some folks here are using penetrol and just figure on re-applying annually or so. Whatever you use all the moisture must be removed first. I spray everything with acetone immediately before any type of finish to remove residual moisture.

#5 floridarobot

floridarobot

Skilled Metalsmith

• Metal Artist Forum Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:11 AM

Nice works ScrapArtOZ. I looked at your site and was impressed with your interesting pieces.
Jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users