4 replies to this topic

#1 metalfusion

metalfusion

Shop Sweeper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:25 PM

Hello all, I am really new to CNC and metal work, but I have figured out the metal color/coatings I want on my pieces, I want steel to slightly start oxidizing to get a light rust coloring, not the heavy duty rust and corrosion, but just the rusty color. What I don't know anything about, where to start looking, etc is what I can treat the finished steel with so that rust color (that is actually the beginning of rust) will rub off on hands and clothes. I want the color, and I don't know what to treat it with so that it won't rub off, won't leave a shiny sheen, but will look natural.

I have searched the forum, and either am not using great search terms, or am not sure what I should search for (more likely) but there has to be a way to do this or a product that will do this for me -

Any ideas/suggestions would be helpful
thanks!

#2 Tony Mertens

Tony Mertens

Metal Master

• Subscriber!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationNew Holstein, WI

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:51 PM

Welcome to MAF. [Welcome] Check out the "Preserving Patinas" forum. Search there for clear coats. Just be aware that once you start the rust you will need to neutralize it to stop it then clear coat. Quite e few of us here use Permalac clear. Eventually the rust will probably win no matter what you use. Also check out the "Patina" forum. You may be able to use some of the dyes that are discussed if you are only after the color. Good luck.

Edited by Tony Mertens, 22 November 2010 - 08:52 PM.

#3 PTsideshow

PTsideshow

• Moderators
  • 8,479 posts
  • LocationMount Clemens,Mi

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:51 PM

[Welcome] to the forum, with so little info to go on it will be hard to get a great workable answer.

Is the piece going to be inside, or outside?

Is it going to be handled or not?

Is it smaller than a bread box or larger?

There are a number of great threads in this forum about the clears. But as Tony said, generally once you start one of Mother Natures processes she tends to not want to stop from carrying the cycle to a finish.

You may be better off using a patina or dye or wax to achieve your color and then a top coat.

As you may know we love pictures and they do really help in aiding the answers. there are matte,flat and semi gloss coatings.

You will have to neutralize any rust generating formula that you use, before you coat it with a sealer.

Again in the patina forum and this forum are the places that will have the information you seek. You have to understand that patination of metal objects is more of an art form rather than a science.
again welcome to the forum.
[Groovy]
glen

Posted Image

"I am not ashamed to admit, that I am ignorant of the things I do not know"!

Cicero

I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!

All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

#4 metalfusion

metalfusion

Shop Sweeper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 06:07 PM

[Welcome] to the forum, with so little info to go on it will be hard to get a great workable answer.

Is the piece going to be inside, or outside?

Is it going to be handled or not?

Is it smaller than a bread box or larger?

There are a number of great threads in this forum about the clears. But as Tony said, generally once you start one of Mother Natures processes she tends to not want to stop from carrying the cycle to a finish.

You may be better off using a patina or dye or wax to achieve your color and then a top coat.

As you may know we love pictures and they do really help in aiding the answers. there are matte,flat and semi gloss coatings.

You will have to neutralize any rust generating formula that you use, before you coat it with a sealer.

Again in the patina forum and this forum are the places that will have the information you seek. You have to understand that patination of metal objects is more of an art form rather than a science.
again welcome to the forum.
[Groovy]

Hi there -
They are mostly inside pieces, but outside as well. I am so new to this I am embarrassed to say I have no idea they made a dye or wax to do this same thing....so much to learn! I did attach a picture this time, I don't have any idea where to go for supplies, VERY new to this - thanks for all of the help
C. STovinexample rust color.gif

#5 PTsideshow

PTsideshow

• Moderators
  • 8,479 posts
  • LocationMount Clemens,Mi

Posted 26 November 2010 - 07:58 PM

Feel free to ask what ever is on your mind or pops into it! There are no dumb questions, just possible dumb answers.

Everybody starts with different skill sets, Then a good place to start with is our patina forum, basically start at the first page or last and start reading. You will have a complete over view of the assorted methods and materials of what is used and how.

Then the top coating of the finish for inside or out. Clear coating, a lacquer or solvent type or something as simple as bees wax.
Here is the forum members favorite
Supplier of patina products from dyes,waxes and prepared patina formulations. and others things you might need.

There are others, but way bother with any one but the best. As you will notice in the threads we aren't biased in our liking for Ron 's products Posted Image
There are things you can use to make your own patinas from household chemicals and kitchen products.

Our resources forum will have additional info.
Here is another one

gilders paste

The favorite wax

Birchwood-Casey

To plating and painting

And of course the ones mentioned in the patinas forum, there are ways to do it from the faux paint look to heavy chemical use.

That is what is so great, you can pick what you feel comfortable with and then move up and have some of the best people on this forum to answer your questions, before during or after.

And you never have to feel uncomfortable asking any question. as everyone on this forum didn't know at some point.
[Peace}
glen

Posted Image

"I am not ashamed to admit, that I am ignorant of the things I do not know"!

Cicero

I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!

All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users