#1 warrent

warrent

Torch Lighter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts
  • LocationTrenton, MI

Posted 09 September 2010 - 05:37 PM

Well all the time I read and hear about that if you are going to work with some sheet metal you need a stump with some recesses cut in. So I thought that it is about time that I made myself one. Well mine is really not a stump but nice chunk of wood.

I started with a piece of ash that has been outside drying for the last year or so and all of the bark has fallen off. No pic for this first step. But you need to make the stump round. Easiest way to do this is to use a table saw. Find what the diameter you are going to need and put a 12 penny nail in the middle, only go about an inch deep. Cut off the head of the nail (oh by the way Cresent has a new wire cutter out that is now leverage action, man do they cut.)
Now on the table saw measure from the center of the blade out on the table of what you figured for the diameter. Drill a hole in the saw table. It won't hurt it I have quite a few holes. Yes I have cut many diameters that are very acuate out of wood on the table saw, just a little saw dusty.
1Round.JPG
Place the stump with the nail in the hole, make sure the saw blade is all the down. Turn on the saw and raise the blade a little, go all the around. Keep raising the blade a little at a time and keep turning. This will take a little bit of time because you want to go slowly. Once you have got enough cut off time to do the other parts.
2jig.JPG
Make a square jig that fits the diameter of the now cut stump. Mark the saw table across and down with the center of the blade. Align the jig on the saw. With the saw blade all the way down place the stump in the jig. Turn on the saw and raise the blade a little, turn the stump around and around and keep raising the blade. Stop everynow and then to see your depth. Yest it is slow but gives a perfectly round recess.
3cutting.JPG
I did one side with the ten inch blade.
4 10inch.JPG
Then did the other recess with an eight inch blade.
5 8inch.JPG
Warren Townsend
http://www.metalrecipes.com

Metal recipe - "heat and beat to the desired shape, repeat as necessary"
If you're gonna be original, you can count on being copied.

#2 Gene Olson

Gene Olson

cobre

• MAF Retail Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:08 PM

nice tool warren!

Nice circle cutting trick too. I learned that when bp mentioned it.

My variation was to take a piece of particle board and dado a slot in it 1/4 deep by 3/4 wide then I screwed that to the saw table with the slot perpendicular to the blade and on the top.

Then I turned on the saw and raised the blade thru the particle board. I took a piece of 1/4 by 3/4 metal stock and drilled a hole in it and put a pin in it. also drilled and countersunk some holes from the top side so I could screw it in place if needed. (part of the time you can just C-clamp it in place). Perfect plywood circles can be cut by drilling a hole in the center, setting it on the pin, raising the blade thru the work and spinning the ply around the pin just like you did the stump. but the slot makes it adjustable.
Gene Olson

www.mettleworks.com

Metal Artist Forum Sponsor
maker of Repousse tools and supplies

#3 PTsideshow

PTsideshow

• Moderators
  • 8,479 posts
  • LocationMount Clemens,Mi

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:49 PM

[Beer] Pretty slick trick, Warren very nicely done!
[Shock]
glen

Posted Image

"I am not ashamed to admit, that I am ignorant of the things I do not know"!

Cicero

I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!

All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

#4 AvishaiW

AvishaiW

Metal Master

• Subscriber!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • LocationHaifa, Israel

Posted 09 September 2010 - 09:48 PM

Very nicely done. In the stump that I made (from red Eucalyptus), I made the reccess off center and on the other side I made a V groove which is also very useful for raising.

Avishai

https://www.facebook...9872656?fref=ts

http://www.ancientme...ng.blogspot.com

http://www.wassermann.co.il

"He who works with his hands - is a laborer,
He who works with his hands and his head - is a craftsman.
He who works with his hands, his head and his heart - is an artist."
St. Francis of Assisi

#5 warrent

warrent

Torch Lighter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts
  • LocationTrenton, MI

Posted 09 September 2010 - 09:56 PM

Gene thanks, yeah the trick that bp came up for cutting circles is great. I sometimes lay down a piece of particle board and drill the hole in that and clamp to the table. Works great when you are making 40 inch circles.

Glen thanks.

One thing that I forgot to mention is always turn the wood to the down stroke of the blade. Here I was on the left side and over center so I turned the wood counter clock wise.
Warren Townsend
http://www.metalrecipes.com

Metal recipe - "heat and beat to the desired shape, repeat as necessary"
If you're gonna be original, you can count on being copied.

#6 Steve Shelby

Steve Shelby

Metal Master

• Metal Artist Forum Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 07:03 AM

That's really cool, Warren. I have my Dad's 1950 Craftsman table saw, and there's a book that came with it (I haven't seen it in years, it's buried somewhere in my garage) that had many tricks like that, which you wouldn't ordinarily think of using a table saw for.
I recently made a couple of cones from log sections on my bandsaw, using the table tilt. Not real accurate, but good enough, finished off on a belt sander.

#7 Gene Olson

Gene Olson

cobre

• MAF Retail Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 08:59 AM

That's really cool, Warren. I have my Dad's 1950 Craftsman table saw, and there's a book that came with it

Is that the one with the engine turning on it, Steve???
Gene Olson

www.mettleworks.com

Metal Artist Forum Sponsor
maker of Repousse tools and supplies

#8 Steve Shelby

Steve Shelby

Metal Master

• Metal Artist Forum Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 09:27 AM

Engine turning? What do you mean?

#9 saign charlestein

saign charlestein

creator of cool

• MAF Retail Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 10:22 AM

Nice Warren, cool trick with the table saw, I have many stumps with all sorts of different shapes and dishes. We just cut em with big angle grinders chisels and sanders, not quite as elaborate or precise as your set up but they work great. Can't take the place of a good ball stake, bot for shallow forms or to get a deep one started they're great

#10 trying-it

trying-it

Metal Master

• Moderators
  • 699 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 08:34 AM

Anther Oldie but still a Goodie!

[smith]   Stan

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users