3 replies to this topic

#1 Matt Weber

Matt Weber

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,525 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 25 September 2005 - 08:32 AM

This client called me asking if I could make her some ornamental covers for her windows. After seeing the size of the window over the door, I suggested that a balcony railing would be a neat look, and some simple scroll work for the side windows.

The balcony railing has almost no welding holding it together. Other than the brackets holding it to the wall. The rest is all riveted together. The balcony balusters were drawn to scale on my work table, and a jig was made. The rest were bent hot around the jig for consistency. The Ancanthus leaves were chased and riveted in place. The finish is a chemical black patina, bronze acrylic paint applied with an airbrush, and a satin clear coat finish. She wanted the railings to match the color of the chandelier she had installed. It came out pretty close.

The scroll work on the sides were bent hot on a jig. The whole thing pulls straight out from the window opening and then folds to the side. She wanted to be able to open them, but have them inside the windows opening. Offset hinges would have to mount outside the opening (she didn't want that) or take up too much of the already limited space. So I hade her hinges that slide straight out and fold over. After all is said and done it worked out real well and is a nice effect.

Attached Thumbnails

• webimage70large.jpg
  • webimage71large.jpg
  • webimage72large.jpg

#2 Deafboy

Deafboy

Metal Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 12:07 PM

Very nice work Matt!
it complements the chandelier real well. Looks great!
The hinges that you made sounds interesting. Did you
have to design them? Bet that was a pain in the neck!
I guess when it slides out it has to come out far enough
for the hinge to clear the wall before you can fold it over.
Hope you have pics of them...
Dan~ Posted Image

#3 Matt Weber

Matt Weber

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,525 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 25 September 2005 - 04:59 PM

Dan, before I posted this thread, I edited it an took out the sentence stating how much of a PITA the hinges were. This client might read the forum someday!:( Oh well, yes I had to design them and yes they sucked! I thought I had them figured out and once I had the frame built and hanging on a jig I found my problem. The frame hit the pin that they slide on. I had to add a section of thick pipe, cut longways, to allow the pin to clear. I welded them in place and then cut the section of frame away. You can see them in the one on the right. The are about 1/4 of the way from the top and bottom. Once this mod was made, they slide out nice and fold all the way over. I just hope she uses them for all the work they were to make.

No, I didn't take pics of the hinges. I am working on a stair rail quote for her so I will probably have another chance for photos. If you are really interested, I can stetch them in Canvas 9.

#4 Deafboy

Deafboy

Metal Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 07:58 PM

I've dealt with "binding" hinges many times.. but it's so cool when you've figured out the problem and pull it off. I'm all about hinges so yeah when you have time I'd luv to see some sketches or close up pics.
Thanks!
D~
Dan~ Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users