#1 Josepo

Josepo

Advanced Member

• Metal Artist Forum Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 01:00 PM

Hi,
can anyone tell me what is the name of the spray that is applied to the ceramic insulation in a gas forge so it won't fall apart and help with its refractory properties?
I apologize if this subject has been brought up before, but I could not find it in the archives.
Thanks in advance for your help

Josepo

#2 Tony Mertens

Tony Mertens

Metal Master

• Subscriber!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • LocationNew Holstein, WI

Posted 17 January 2010 - 04:01 PM

I've never heard of a spray but that would be handy. There are several products out there but the one that was shipped with my Chili Forge is ITC-100. It's available from them and many other sources. You have to mix it with water, let it sit for 8 hours then apply it with a brush. That's why I keep putting off touching up my forge. :)

#3 PTsideshow

PTsideshow

• Moderators
  • 8,479 posts
  • LocationMount Clemens,Mi

Posted 17 January 2010 - 04:40 PM

I'm not aware of a spray, But there are a number of liquid/slurry mixes that you paint on the Fiber wool or other ceramic wool fiber insulation. or if by Spraying you mean with a plaster type hopper spray gun.
ITC 100 Ht is one of the products.

This is the instructions and MSDS from budget casting supply

Under the sales part of anvil fire

Here is some info on the products from anvil fire

It is available here also from budget casting supply

It or a close cousin of the same thing should be available from any of the large local ceramic/pottery supply stores as it sold as a kiln wash.
:)

It has been over 5 years since I have used this type product repairing the fire side of boilers!
Somebody on this site should be able to jump in with some more help

International Technical Ceramics products doesn't appear to have a public web site.
[Beer]
glen

Posted Image

"I am not ashamed to admit, that I am ignorant of the things I do not know"!

Cicero

I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!

All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

#4 Vermontsmith

Vermontsmith

artist blacksmith

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:05 PM

I also think you are talking about ITC-100 (International Technical Ceramics product). It is a very thick water based solution that if thinned can be sprayed or brushed, leaves a thin coating of the product on the surface of insulation after drying. May take several coats to stiffen up stuff like Kaowool. And it only stiffens it up/gives a thin shell to the exterior of the insulation, definitely does not make it bullet proof. A good jab with a misaimed piece of stock will break thru the ITC-100 and damage the fiber blanket just like normal. In my experience it does give a little extra reflective quality to the insulation, but not more than 15% at best, perhaps 10%. The BEST part is that it does help bind up some of the little fibers that are bad to breathe i.e. carcinogenic. That alone makes it worth puting into a gas forge.

-Judson

#5 Alfredo Alamo

Alfredo Alamo

Metal Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:08 PM

Yeap ITC-100 is awesome I have my forge covered with that for 5 years now and it is still in very good condition. The secret is in applying very very thin layers instead of a thick one, and cure it by heating low and slow at first, then turn it off until it cool down and repeat the process three times each time mor heat and longer until you fire it up full heat for 15 minutes.
Alfredo Alamo
www.alfredoalamo.com

#6 Randyc

Randyc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 08:18 AM

The owner of ITC recommends using a sandblasting spray gun. I've been using one to apply ITC for a while now and it works great. Have someone there help you by constantly stirring the bucket of ITC as you spray. THis will keep the more dense ingredients from settling and compromising the recipe. Here is an example of the spray gun:
http://www2.northern...item-155560.htm

#7 Josepo

Josepo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:21 PM

Thank you all for the information, for some reason I thought that it came in a spray can. (wishful thinking!)[Beer] I will order a can of the ITC -100, and probably by using the suction blasting gun kit I may be able to get into the small area of the forge. I'll give it a try[Punk]
Thank you again

Josepo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users