• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ctp13

ctp13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 08:20 PM

IMG_3358.jpg IMG_3354.jpg IMG_3400.jpg Hi Havent posted before I was asked to make "something" for someones Birthday and a thank you for their help dooing an editing project .

The Birthday OK but the editing project needed something special.

I had been working on a bumper for my VW Vanagon Syncro so I had some 1/4 in pieces laying about , I have been thinking about chasing so I decided to start on steel . I'm a Farrier/Blacksmith of no renoun but i have tools and can hit things.

I decided on a turtle to Chase into the plate ( actualy it was a bumper form)

and added some other styelized bits a Crane some reeds and cattails.

I relly liked the chasing process and may take my bumper off and put in a turtle just for giggles and to see how many people notice.

I am going to try and post some pics.

Chuck

Forgot to give credit to Brian Brazile (SP?) for the shape of the crane - though I added the extra wing. to be honest every time I see his/their ( brian and Ed;s ) work I seriously think of finding something else to do.

OH and my spelling you can see why someone is eddiring for me.

#2 PTsideshow

PTsideshow

Since I can no longer post here, I am longer doing any moderatio

• Moderators
  • 8,479 posts
  • LocationMount Clemens,Mi

Posted 09 November 2009 - 08:35 PM

[Welcome] well for a first project and in steel to boot,certainly looks like you have accomplished the objective you set for yourself. Very,very nicely done.
glen

Posted Image

"I am not ashamed to admit, that I am ignorant of the things I do not know"!

Cicero

I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!

All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

#3 bigfootnampa

bigfootnampa

Skilled Metalsmith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 08:59 PM

Hey! Keep that sort of thing up and you may find yourself some renown!

#4 warrent

warrent

Torch Lighter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts
  • LocationTrenton, MI

Posted 10 November 2009 - 12:17 AM

Dang Chuck, I do not think I ever seen anyone try chasing in to 1/4 in steel. Looks like a pretty damn nice turtle. Whole piece is very nice.
Warren Townsend
http://www.metalrecipes.com

Metal recipe - "heat and beat to the desired shape, repeat as necessary"
If you're gonna be original, you can count on being copied.

#5 Brad S

Brad S

Metal Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 05:27 AM

Whoa, 1/4 inch plate stock.. That's one fine turtle. I'm looking forward to seeing your furture "attempts" My hat is off to you. Keep doing pieces like this and your no renoun status will change. Brad

#6 ShawnM

ShawnM

Local Sheriff

• Moderators
  • 4,139 posts
  • LocationGeneva, FL

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:07 AM

[Big Grin] Impressive first "attempt"!

Can you tell us how you went about it? Did you anneal? Use any kind of backing?

The overall piece is very pleasing [Worthy][Punk][Peace}
ShawnM
Super DUPER Moderator

‚ÄéReality leaves a lot to the imagination ~ John Lennon

Visit my website: Soleil MetalArts
Facebook Fan Page

#7 PTsideshow

PTsideshow

• Moderators
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:18 AM

Yes, they are the unanswered questions, was parts done hot and cold, by flypress, power hammer,or hydraulic press for the rough form and then.the fine details by hand. And of course the most important thing did you take any pictures?

Or as a reminder if you do the bumper on your VW. please takes some pictures of the steps you used. It is an outstanding piece no matter what techniques you have used. And as you have probably noticed this forum is all about technique!
Again [Big Grin][Worthy] to the forum!
[Peace}
glen

Posted Image

Cicero

All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

#8 KST1

KST1

learn'n as I go....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:00 AM

Very nice peice! The bumper idea is great, I say go for it. A turtle on a VW bus is very appropriate.

I know what you mean about the Brazeal Bros. I feel the same way.

Keep up the good work and come around often.

-Derek

#9 Naturalsteel

Naturalsteel

Skilled Metalsmith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:14 AM

Seriously cool looking piece!
Robert Carter
Naturalsteel.com
The fact that nobody understands you dosen't make you an artist.

#10 ctp13

ctp13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:57 AM

[attachment=11824]

Yes, they are the unanswered questions, was parts done hot and cold, by flypress, power hammer,or hydraulic press for the rough form and then.the fine details by hand. And of course the most important thing did you take any pictures?

Or as a reminder if you do the bumper on your VW. please takes some pictures of the steps you used. It is an outstanding piece no matter what techniques you have used. And as you have probably noticed this forum is all about technique!
Again [Big Grin][Worthy] to the forum!
[Peace}

Sorry no pics of the process as I was not sure it would be anything byond a bump.

All of it was done hot except some detail work like the shell scales and the eyes I was unsure that if done hot they would distort the shape.

I used my forge to heat it Then started with a large Ball Peen and formed the dome , once formed I reheated putit on the anvil and started pushing everything that was not the shell back to leval .
Once I had a basic shell I used a drift to push out the Head ( also heated in the forge.(.

I never annealed Using a cutting torch to spot heat while shaping the head and shell edges.

no power hammers, Fly press etc just a forge and hammer and some reworked Pritchels made of H13 .

The reeds and crane were the easy part , I tried to make some forged cattails but in the process they gave up at the neck and broke .

The cattails are ( sorry to all the purests) just 5/32 6013 welding rod with all but a bit of the flux ground off.

Chuck
IMG_3361.jpg

#11 PTsideshow

PTsideshow

• Moderators
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:19 AM

[Punk] Thank you, for the info that will keep a lot of us old farts from loosing to much sleep over how the hell did he do that! And as to the rest of the parts and pieces. It is what ever works here. After all we aren't above making up answers if the collective doesn't know something.[Big Grin]

No matter what or how it was accomplished it is an impressive start![Peace}
[Worthy]
glen

Posted Image

Cicero

#12 Fred Zweig

Fred Zweig

Manipulator of metal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 12:47 PM

Very Impressive first attempt. Make more!!!!!

Best,
Fred
"So much to learn and so little time"
Musings of a Metalsmith
http://fredz49.blogspot.com/

#13 Mountainfireforge

Mountainfireforge

Skilled Metalsmith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 02:57 PM

Very Nice, in steel no less! Keep up the good work! Pictures, pictures pictures! Dont sweat the purists, either. Cattails are not too hard, just take some pipe and pinch in the ends in the round and keep a small hole to accept the welding rod or whatever wire ya wanna use. Yours look mahvelous!
An artist cannot fail, it is a success to be one.
- Charles Horton Cooley

#14 ornametalsmith

ornametalsmith

Ornamental metalsmith

• Metal Artist Forum Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:17 PM

Incredible piece. Love the whole composition. Wonderfully executed........ gotta love a newbie that starts "SHOWING OFF" right outa the box.........can't wait to see what you make next.

purist smurists...........LOL
Bill
http://www.CustomDesignMetalArts.com/
http://www.FloridianForge.com/

Class/Workshop info:
http://www.customdes...com/studio.html
Specializing in: Teaching and Making
hand forged and cast works of Metal Art.
Crafted with the utmost attention to detail.
For discriminating tastes and opulent surroundings

Posted Image

#15 David S.

David S.

Metal Master

• Metal Artist Forum Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:33 AM

Chuck,
That is an incredible piece of work. Not only did you do a superb job with the turtle, but the entire composition is just great. If you are interested in seeing some other chasing/repousse work in steel, you might look up Corky Storer on the internet; he works with 1/2" steel hot using industrial sized pneumatic hammers. Thanks for sharing your work, and I look forward to seeing more pics of your work.

Daave

#16 ctp13

ctp13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 01:51 PM

Thank you all for your positive responses , when I give things away ( I have never sold anything) the recipients say thank you and how wonderful..... but I'm old and grumpy so I expect that.

when I get to hear it from those I hope to someday to be become good enough to call peers I value the feed back - good or bad .

I teach my students that we have to self evaluate but in turn we have to be open to others opinions.

I'm going to work on a couple of bowls next one in copper and one in steel

hopefully they will end up being something other than scrap.

Sometimes the lessons are what not to do.

Thanks

Chuck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users