9 replies to this topic

#1 Haztoys

Haztoys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 05:31 PM

Any one using quick coupler on a Oxy/ace torch ..??
Would like to use one on my torch and new gas saver ...

Whats a good coupler ..???

Thanks

David

Hazardous Toys inc

#2 PTsideshow

PTsideshow

• Moderators
  • 8,479 posts
  • LocationMount Clemens,Mi

Posted 11 October 2009 - 06:27 PM

I have been looking at them but haven't decided if I'm going to get a set. There are torch-to-hose, hose-to-hose, or regulator-to-hose. some come with with check valves and some with out.Some have double seals some only one, The type I looked at they told me they didn't know if user could replace the seal or they had to be sent out. Or even if they could be repaired.

Also if you had to by a set of them or could you buy extra fittings for say 4 torches and only one hose ends.

And how long they last?
At least it some more questions to think about. Or is it cheaper to get Y valves and another set of hoses cheaper.
[Peace}
glen

Posted Image

"I am not ashamed to admit, that I am ignorant of the things I do not know"!

Cicero

I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!

All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

#3 Haztoys

Haztoys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 07:03 PM

Thanks Glen

What was the brand of couplers did you look at ...??

David

Hazardous Toys inc

#4 ornametalsmith

ornametalsmith

Ornamental metalsmith

• Metal Artist Forum Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,029 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 07:17 PM

I've got the Western Enterprises Quick connect sets and really like them. Work great with the Y's too.
QC.jpg
Bill
http://www.CustomDesignMetalArts.com/
http://www.FloridianForge.com/

Class/Workshop info:
http://www.customdes...com/studio.html
Specializing in: Teaching and Making
hand forged and cast works of Metal Art.
Crafted with the utmost attention to detail.
For discriminating tastes and opulent surroundings

Posted Image

#5 Mark W

Mark W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 07:23 PM

I have a set too with single seals. It was a pretty expensive setup to get the pieces for two torches on one set of hoses (ie. two sets) - like $90. I use them several times every day and they work pretty well. The end on the hose started to leak after a while and I had to replace it. At any rate, they aren't bullet proof, but seem pretty durable with a lot of use and don't leak under most circumstances.
-Mark
www.metallicmarineart.com
Facebook Page: http://www.facebook....gid=59949687911

#6 PTsideshow

PTsideshow

• Moderators
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:01 PM

As to the brand, it was at a selling inventory at a used tool/surplus tool place I have no idea as to brand as the guy said he wasn't carrying them any more. As they didn't sell well! that's what stopped me I figured that better go to the LWS, might have a better chance. Of getting parts etc. From Bill's rec and what I have seen on line I think it will be Western brand [Peace}

Ok doing some looking after this question came up. Randor brand (airgas) has a set that claims over 10,000 tested operations or 10,12 years of use.

Air gas brand

fuel gas coupler
It looks like it is cheaper to buy the pair of them then a signle fuel gas or oxy set.

Praxair appears to be made by the same company Western. Product description appears to be the same.
Praxair
[Peace}
glen

Posted Image

Cicero

All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

#7 bigironjoe

bigironjoe

Metal Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:45 PM

I have them. money well spent. you'll only regret it at first till you forget how much you spent...

#8 PTsideshow

PTsideshow

• Moderators
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:36 AM

just went and picked up some at the LWS (Airgas)

They are Western Enterprise Brand They are currently on sale at Airgas on line. Print out the price page and they give you that price at the store.

You can buy extra plugs or socket sides,they will probably have to be ordered.
The 10,000 cycles in the web page or catalog is referring to the CHECK VALVE CYCLING.

The counter guy did say that the people that are buying replacements are the field work guys that are dragging them thru the sand and mud etc.

They aren't repair able just replaceable.
So if you get any at other places, as long as they are Western Enterprise Brand they will be inter changeable.

And finally the biggest difference between the three is the side that check valve flows thru. And of course, the type of fitting on the ends.

They do appear to be we built as Bill said![Punk]
[Beer]
glen

Posted Image

Cicero

#9 Gene Chapman

Gene Chapman

Skilled Metalsmith

• Metal Artist Forum Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 01:12 PM

A local hardware store has quick disconnects made for propane. They were in the propane fittings section of the store. I use one as the propane tank is outside the shop/garage and is disconnected when I'm not in the shop. Found the quick disconnect handy when I used to do demos away from the shop.
www.oakandiron.com

#10 PTsideshow

PTsideshow

• Moderators
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 10:02 AM

Just got a sales flyer from Praxair, On the last page they had the Western brand Quick connect couplings on sale all 3 versions all for $44.95 each set.
Sale is Oct 5 --Dec 31,2009
Along with the usual stuff for an LWS sale [Beer]
So whether you are an Airgas or Praxair customer the couplers are on sale
[Peace}
glen

Posted Image

Cicero

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users