44 replies to this topic

#41 John B

John B

Skilled Metalsmith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:29 AM

If we think about tradition, the great bellows were set up so that the tapered tuyere nose came in from the side. I'm not sure how it was protected from burning away. If not water cooled, it may have been surrounded by fire clay, but it WAS a side blast.

http://www.turleyforge.com Granddaddy of Blacksmith Schools

The tapered tuyere nose on the bellows in fact was not the tuyere as we know it, it was a funnel that directed the air into the actual tuyere in the hearth.

This hearth based tuyere nose could be clay, brick, old cannonball with a hole bored through, or even a cast iron solid or water cooled with or without the shroud plate.

Water cooled tuyere for use with bellows, nozzle fits inside.jpg

Water cooled tuyere iron jacket showing inlet and outlet connections.jpg

Water cooled shroud side view.jpg

#42 grufty

grufty

Shop Sweeper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:09 AM

this is the side blower i use for demos. a wooden box lined with wet sand as it drys out i just wet it down again, the bellows where made in 1884 and im 99% sure its the original leather. i run it on charcoal and the tue is made from refractory cement that i cast in a flower pot with a wooden 3/4"dowel in the center.
562112_148572791936739_2065722429_n.jpg
581048_148572865270065_1124915617_n.jpg
528497_374900662545908_86793033_n.jpg

#43 FORGE_FIRE MMXI

FORGE_FIRE MMXI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:06 AM

Side blast forge Questions:

Can the tuyere be make from stainless, has anyone done that?
Can the side blast tuyere have a remote water tank? tube size for water? Piped in water, will the thermosiphon work ok?
Can rust-inhibitors  and anticorrosion be use in a steel system?
And /or could a antifreeze be used in an open tank or there fumes to be aware of?
In the little I've seen posted, there using a cone shape for the water jacket,but what is the angle of the cone? What works best for the thermosiphon to work.
Any other information would be great.
The reason I’m thinking about a side blast is I’m burning coke.

#44 Eric Sprado

Eric Sprado

Skilled Metalsmith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 12:34 PM

I'm currently making a side blaster with an old cream can as the cooling tank. Nice handles. Take it anywhere and fire it up. I'll post pictures when done.

Look at Mark Asberry's plans online to get the idea.

#45 Everything Mac

Everything Mac

Skilled Metalsmith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 12:18 PM

I'm currently making a side blaster with an old cream can as the cooling tank. Nice handles. Take it anywhere and fire it up. I'll post pictures when done.

Look at Mark Asberry's plans online to get the idea.

Did you get that finished Eric? 

I just spotted my post on this thread from 9 years ago! :o I'm using a side blast coke forge as my main forge these days. 

All the best 

Andy

He who asks is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask remains a fool forever. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users