• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chrisb

chrisb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 08:28 PM

Lets see your tooling for rolling rings on the fly press.

Thanks

#2 Whitehair

Whitehair

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:39 AM

chrisb,

I went thru my pictures and that is a photo that I do not have, maybe I can correct that today. The tools that I use are size specific to a given press. The lower die is nothing more that a 1/4" thick plate with 2 parallel round bars welded on it.

It is the length and height of the upper tool that needs to be match to a given machine. The tool needs to be tall enought so that when it is installed in the flypress with the bottom die and the material to be formed in place, the checknut is in a possition that it can be utilized. The upper die needs to be long enough that when the material is formed there is clearance between the ram and the material when the ring closes. When doing heavier work the upper die is prone to flexing because the force is no longer centered in the tooling hole in the ram.

Ya, I know, clear as mud. But, I felt that I should make it clear that this type of tool is perhaps the least interchangable and least adaptable of all the flypress tools. Now, where did I leave the camera?,,,,,,,

Bob

#3 chrisb

chrisb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:32 AM

Bob,

The upper die flexing is the problem I want to avoid or minimize. Should I use something like 1045 to make the upper die with?

#4 Whitehair

Whitehair

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 01:04 PM

chrisb,

The tool retension system was not design to deal with a force that is not centered in the ram. If you extend the collar so that the front edge of the ram touches it you can minimize some of the upward force that is appied to the front of the top tool. Remember that if you do manage to stop the flexxing at the mount, you still have a force that is trying to push the ram out of its guides.

I've have had thoughts about for a while but I haven't a clean simple solution.

Bob 
chrisb,
Forgot the picture, so here it is. These are for my little #0 flypress.

Whitehair

Attached Thumbnails

• Ring Dies #2.jpg

#5 Vermontsmith

Vermontsmith

artist blacksmith

• Metal Artist Forum Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 06:06 PM

One of the other flypress threads (one of Matt's?) has a good photo of a ring bender with an added strut for stiffness. Do a search and it should pop up.

-Judson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users