11 replies to this topic

#1 steelgirl

steelgirl

Metal Mistress

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 10:01 AM

Ok, here's the question...has anyone tried soldering pewter to another type of metal like copper? If so, does anyone have any tricks or tips they'd like to share with me before I give it a shot? Please? The book says "just be careful with the flame adjustment" and that is the extent of the advise...[Smile] I'd sure appreciate it if I could get a bit more specific advise before I end up melting 20 hours worth of raised pewter goblet! [Smile]
People who profess to be normal simply lack imagination.

I believe in the truimph of hope over experience. ~ English Porverb

#2 PTsideshow

PTsideshow

• Moderators
  • 8,479 posts
  • LocationMount Clemens,Mi

Posted 11 July 2008 - 12:05 PM

it will depend on how thick the copper is and the pewter and what kind of joint you want to end up with as the pewter solder is a low, low temp solder. I don't think that you will end up with a real strong joint like holding a lot of weight up, or slinging the cup around in Norse traditional drinking chant etc.
Most of the pewter to pewter solder joints are a close match to the solder material.
DSCF9028.JPG
This is to a brass tube on the back of a belt buckle done by a iron not a torch you still have to move quickly as dally to long in one spot and you will get slumping.
DSCF9032.JPG
This is a steel buckle back soldered to a cast pewter buckle. I have done a bunch of these and so far none have come back or complained.
As with all soldering, clean clean and clean all parts. Use a good flux I use a liquid leaded came flux for stained glass. Also use a known pewter solder Temp is (300'F) of the proper temp. Not something that is called low temp solder.
I have only used a torch one time on a broken statue type table decoration and it was a pretty heavy weight area and could direct most of the flame away.

Good place to get it generally have it in stock
here is their home page
[Smile]

Unless you practice up it does help with two people one to do the torch and the other to operate the solder wire.To relive this [Smile]
glen

Posted Image

"I am not ashamed to admit, that I am ignorant of the things I do not know"!

Cicero

I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!

All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

#3 steelgirl

steelgirl

Metal Mistress

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 12:34 PM

Thanks PT,
Actually, I did get the pewter and the solder from the company you recommended . The pewter is 18g and the copper is various wire and it doesn't have to be super strong, but it does need to be functional...I think I'll practice a bit before I give the final product a try...I could always use industrial epoxy I guess since the joint will be really well diguised...but I have bad luck with epoxy. I hope it works and I can post some pics instead of melting it and then having a melt down myself[HAHA]

#4 Fred Zweig

Fred Zweig

Manipulator of metal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 12:37 PM

I have had luck with a low temp solder. Make sure it melts below the temp of the pewter being used. Here is a pewter vessel with an attached copper rim I made years ago.

Posted Image

Fred
"So much to learn and so little time"
Musings of a Metalsmith
http://fredz49.blogspot.com/

#5 PTsideshow

PTsideshow

• Moderators
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 01:39 PM

really slick Fred I like the flow of the lip or spout![Smile][HAHA] Belmot solder and the pewter solder that Hartzogs sells is 300'F
[Smile]
glen

Posted Image

Cicero

All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

#6 Gene Olson

Gene Olson

cobre

• MAF Retail Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 04:06 PM

A friend fried their pewter syrup pitcher doing the same thing they had done for years, warming the crystallized sugar on a warm hot plate.

Oops, too hot melted the bottom.

I spun a silver base to match the taper of the pewter with a bit extra silver to give it a "foot" (standoff from the heat) below the pewter and then got some prefuxed solder paste rated for below the pewter cleaned and filled the joint. and then soldered in the kitchen oven (previously calibrated with scrap pieces. Worked great. Customer happy.

I suggested doing a double boiler approach with a pan of water. They agreed.

G.
Gene Olson

www.mettleworks.com

Metal Artist Forum Sponsor
maker of Repousse tools and supplies

#7 steelgirl

steelgirl

Metal Mistress

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 04:14 PM

That's a really pretty vessel Fred!!!!

I never thought about doing it in the oven Gene...Great Idea!!!!

#8 Frosty

Frosty

Maker of things

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 04:59 PM

SWEET vessel Fred!

Shape, flow, colors, all of it is very pleasing to my eye, makes me want to fondle it.

Frosty
Carpe Extremitas Frigus!

#9 steelgirl

steelgirl

Metal Mistress

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 12:29 PM

Frosty, MAF isn't THAT kind of web site!!!!!!![HAHA]

#10 PTsideshow

PTsideshow

• Moderators
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 01:04 PM

Frosty, MAF isn't THAT kind of web site!!!!!!![lol]

Frosty, She doesn't understand old metal men! I understand whatcha mean[hysterical][HAHA]
[HAHA]
glen

Posted Image

Cicero

#11 Frosty

Frosty

Maker of things

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 04:41 PM

Frosty, MAF isn't THAT kind of web site!!!!!!![Beer]

Frosty, She doesn't understand old metal men! I understand whatcha mean[hysterical][lol]
[HAHA]

AND she's married to a Frosty of her own too. What is the next generation coming to? [HAHA]

Fondley Frosty
Carpe Extremitas Frigus!

#12 steelgirl

steelgirl

Metal Mistress

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 11:50 AM

I DO understand old metal men...as Frosty points out, I have one of my own [Groovy]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users