21 replies to this topic

#21 Eric Sprado

Eric Sprado

Skilled Metalsmith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 10:32 PM

Just a little input here about "size matters": I have a dandy #3 flypress that is VERY handy. I do all my Tenons and lots of fullering with it. I use a #6 too but my little #3 is my "go to" tool for most things.

#22 Tom Maringer

Tom Maringer

• MAF Retail Sponsor
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 12:54 PM

I have several four flypresses in the shop, from 5 ton to 70 ton. And another one that is surplus because the other four presses already on the floor can do anything this can do and I don't have space for it. All of them get used for size appropriate jobs. It's easy to hit too hard with a big one. The standard set-up to do a light hit with a bigger press is to build up the base with bolsters so that there is less daylight. Makes it easier to control a light stroke. (this also works for the friction clutch type fly presses as well)

It is a Noble & Hunt, vintage piece. I'd estimate it as a 20 to 25 ton. Weighs about 1500 pounds. Asking $2000. I can load for you on a pickup or small trailer. The counterweight arm can be pulled off to make it less top-heavy. It has a 2 1/4" four-lead main screw, large handforged arm, and two iron counterweight balls. I have pics, can't seem to upload. It can be viewed at my shop in NW Arkansas. I could even deliver for something extra if you're not too far away.

email me if interested.

Tom Maringer

maringer@arkansas.net

Edited by Tom Maringer, 08 October 2016 - 12:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users