21 replies to this topic

#1 Pook

Pook

should be out smashing metal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 01:17 PM

I'm going to be buying a new flypress. The one I had on loan was to small for the cold work I was trying to do. Judging by the work I've seen Matt and Gene do here, the flypress I had must of been close to a #4, it just didn't have enough grunt.

Can a big flypress do small work? just by pulling the handle softer?

Similiar to how a large powerhammer can do small powerhammer work?

I'm looking at getting a #6 or #8 from Oldworld anvils or Pieh tool co.

Besides all the normal functions of a flypress I also want to be able to do bending of heavy bar stock hot in bending jigs similar to this one. http://www.oldworlda...plications.html

anyone know what size this fly press is?

#2 Matt Weber

Matt Weber

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,533 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 13 July 2007 - 01:31 PM

Can a big flypress do small work? just by pulling the handle softer?
Similiar to how a large powerhammer can do small powerhammer work?

YES but a smaller press would be easier to use for small work. However, the smaller the press, the less throat space you have.

I'm looking at getting a #6 or #8 from Oldworld anvils or Pieh tool co.

They are the same. Pieh buys from Oldworld.

Besides all the normal functions of a flypress I also want to be able to do bending of heavy bar stock hot in bending jigs similar to this one. http://www.oldworlda...plications.html

anyone know what size this fly press is?

Pook, I do that with my #6. I have formed 1" bars that way and could probably do more.

#3 Pook

Pook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 01:51 PM

Thanks Matt. How much larger of material do you think you could bend hot in a jig like that?

I was looking at the #8 for the added room under the ram for tooling/jigs. At $1845 its not much more $ than a #6 right now.

#4 Matt Weber

Matt Weber

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,533 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 13 July 2007 - 02:26 PM

I'm sure it could do more I just haven't had a need yet. I have never used a #8. But a #6 will give you a workout when you have lots of repeat items to make.

#5 Whitehair

Whitehair

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 02:57 PM

I'm sure it could do more I just haven't had a need yet. I have never used a #8. But a #6 will give you a workout when you have lots of repeat items to make.

Hi folks,

Couldn't help myself, I just had to jump in. I strarted with a #3 fly press and this spring I got a #5 from Old World Anvils. In May we stopped by Old World Anvils and they had a #8 on the floor. That is a BIG press.

I have a press that is a bit bigger that a #8 and I can tell you that it will wear you down in short order. If you have 2 strong helpers with you, you can do amazing things with it.

You just have to decide where you are going. The #8 can do a lot of big work, but are you up to it?

From my experience with the #3 and #5 I can tell you that it's really nice to have 2 presses set up with different tooling. I'm in the process of making heavier, tougher tooling for the #5. The table for my #5 is 70'' long and at a later date I will add the #3 to it.

I've attached a pix of the #5 on its stand with my unmounted #0 the the left of it.

Thanks for letting me have a word.

Bob Haverstock

Attached Thumbnails

• Fly Press #5 & Stand.jpg

#6 Grizz

Grizz

Just bearly here.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 03:12 PM

Pook stick with a #5 or #6, the 8 will flat out wear you out.

Call and talk to Steve at Kane and Sons also, they sometimes get flypresses in that the bottom was not machined flat or? and they will give you a good deal, That's how I got mine, great price! Also it's the same flypress as Old World Anvils but a different Color and name.
"GRIZZ"

Maker of unique one of a kind Ironwork, vessels and repousse'

#7 Stretch

Stretch

Metal Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:49 PM

Hi Pook
I have a #8 and it will bend 1/2"X4" on edge cold. Also I have bent 1"X2" very easily cold. Hot I have made clavos with a 1 1/2" head from 1" stock in one heat. According to a chart I found on the internet it takes almost 60 ton to do this. After 130 clavos I know I had had a workout. Mine is an H pattern not the C frame press. I wish it was a C frame because of the extra clearance you get.
I do use it a lot more as I learn to use it and have more tools for it. Sometimes i wish i had a smaller one for different setups and lighter stuff. I have found it to small more often than to big though.
Stretch

www.redwillowforge.com

#8 David S.

David S.

Metal Master

• Metal Artist Forum Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 05:07 PM

Whitehair, welcome to MAF; I saw your photo of your presses over on Forgemagic earlier.

Pook, I have the Super 5 from Kane's, which is the P5 with a slightly heavier flywheel. I got one of ones that did not have the bottom machined, but it only took about 15 minutes with a grinder to level it off for mounting; I don't remember now how much Steve knocked off, but it seemed a good deal at the time. Like everyone else said, I think a #8 would really give you a work out without help swinging the flywheel. You can do a tremendous amount of work, hot or cold, on a 5 or 6. I guess it just depends on what size work you will be doing most of the time.

Grizz, until I saw Kayne's and Oldworld's side by side, I thought they were the same: not so. Other than the color, the Oldworld presses seem better finished and the casting is slightly different, at least from mine ( the Oldworld presses have the size cast into the body of the press- no big deal, but I don't think they come from identical patterns). Also my press has British treads for the hold downs and the tooling bolt; and mine has a 3/4" tooling bore instead of the 1" it was supposed to. Not major differences, but it all leads me to believe that the presses are made in different foundries, but from the same design. The Oldworld presses have a nicely done tag with the name of the manufacturer in India on it; mine doesn't have anything except a crude brass plate with P5 pressed in on the front. For me, if price were equal, shipping from Kayne in NC would probably be lower, so despite the slight differences, I guess I'd still would buy with them.

Happy pressing,

Dave

#9 Pook

Pook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 06:02 PM

I'm leaning towards doing larger scale architectual work using larger stock. I like heavy metal [Peace} and looking for something to work along side my my Nazel 3b. (I've also almost got my overhead crane design worked out)

I'm really inspired by the work of Conrad Hicks

http://www.conradhicks.com/ and is a direction I'd like to continue working towards since I have the means to advertise in the public site furnishings market through my family's business's

Stretch, could you not put a lighter handle/weight combo on the #8 for smaller lighter work? If you had the means to lift it off easily, it wouldn't be to difficult swap it off and on.

wouldn't be too dificult to fabricate and handle and ball weight setup or a wheel.

#10 Grizz

Grizz

Just bearly here.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 06:31 PM

David that is strange because mine has a 1" hole and the name tag, it's probably like buying a car, you don't want the one that comes off the line at 4:00 on Fri. afternoon!!!!
"GRIZZ"

#11 David S.

David S.

Metal Master

• Metal Artist Forum Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 06:36 PM

Grizz,

Or Ramadan. Steve did tell me that there was some inconsistency in quality control, and some of the 5's had 3/4" bores and some 1". It was not enough of a concern to pack the press up and ship it back to NC. I'll probably just bore it out to 1" some time right after I get a roundtuit.

Dave

#12 Stretch

Stretch

Metal Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 06:39 PM

I'm leaning towards doing larger scale architectual work using larger stock. I like heavy metal [Peace} and looking for something to work along side my my Nazel 3b. (I've also almost got my overhead crane design worked out)

I'm really inspired by the work of Conrad Hicks

http://www.conradhicks.com/ and is a direction I'd like to continue working towards since I have the means to advertise in the public site furnishings market through my family's business's

Stretch, could you not put a lighter handle/weight combo on the #8 for smaller lighter work? If you had the means to lift it off easily, it wouldn't be to difficult swap it off and on.

wouldn't be too dificult to fabricate and handle and ball weight setup or a wheel.

Pook
i am not a big fan of switching flywheels because the flywheel on mine is almost 250 lbs. I can do real light work, the main reason I would want a smaller one is because they are ussually c frame.
Mine would be real nice as a c frame. One side clear is a big advantage.
Stretch

www.redwillowforge.com

#13 Pook

Pook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 07:09 PM

Stretch

The #8 I am looking at is a C frame. Once my crane is up and going lifting it off won't be an issue but do you see any reason it wouldn't work swapping on alight flywheel if the #8 flywheel was to heavy for a long day of light production work?

Its only a $300 difference right now for the bigger press. I wouldn't want to kick myself in the butt later for buying something a bit smaller than I need.

I also took your advice and called Fraser Machinery, they have a couple "Spoon Press's" on the floor right now. I told the guy I was looking for a flypress, and he said thats what they called them. He said that they were for jewellry making. I said they were probably to small but he said nope they were rated at 10 ton or more. I'll have to go check them out Monday before I order something from the US.

#14 Grizz

Grizz

Just bearly here.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:33 PM

David do you have any extra roundtuits, I need some too.
"GRIZZ"

#15 Pook

Pook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 04:40 PM

Fraser Machinery has what looks to be a british press equivelent to a #6. He wants about 2/3rd of new $.

But after looking at it I'm leaning towards brand new.

They also have a few neat british jewelery making footpress's that look like a flypress combined with a treadle hammer.

#16 Whitehair

Whitehair

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 07:03 PM

Stretch

The #8 I am looking at is a C frame. Once my crane is up and going lifting it off won't be an issue but do you see any reason it wouldn't work swapping on alight flywheel if the #8 flywheel was to heavy for a long day of light production work?

Its only a $300 difference right now for the bigger press. I wouldn't want to kick myself in the butt later for buying something a bit smaller than I need.

I also took your advice and called Fraser Machinery, they have a couple "Spoon Press's" on the floor right now. I told the guy I was looking for a flypress, and he said thats what they called them. He said that they were for jewellry making. I said they were probably to small but he said nope they were rated at 10 ton or more. I'll have to go check them out Monday before I order something from the US.

Pook,

So what did you buy

Bob Haverstock

#17 Pook

Pook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 12:47 PM

Bob,

I've been busy with customers work so I haven't had the time to figure out exactly what I want. I'm hoping to get do a test run on a #6 in the next week or so as well.

#18 Alexander Metal

Alexander Metal

Skilled Metalsmith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 10:30 PM

I have a #5 I got from Pieh Tool Co. That was the one they recommended. I have never had the chance to try a #6. Sometimes I wish I had a bit more power, like for bending larger stock cold. I have bent up to 3" X 1/2" cold. 1/2" thick is about as thick as I can go. But, overall it's a great machine for what I do, mostly medium sized stuff, and it wears me out after a while, so I'm happy with it.

Maybe you should get a #5 and save up for one of these [Smile]

http://www.anvilfire...er/morepwr8.htm

#19 Pook

Pook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 11:02 AM

I've used one of those at Terry Carson's (member of the NWBA) shop when I took a power hammer course. Was very interesting to use, sorta like a one hit slow but powerful powerhammer.

#20 Matt Weber

Matt Weber

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,533 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 25 July 2007 - 06:50 AM

Other than the color, the Oldworld presses seem better finished and the casting is slightly different, at least from mine ( the Oldworld presses have the size cast into the body of the press- no big deal, but I don't think they come from identical patterns).

[Smile]

I would have to agree David. I have seen plenty of presses from both and there is a difference. The Old World presses are nicer fit and finish. Plus, they disassemble, clean, and adjust every press before they ship it.

The screw on Duck's press would barely turn before we took it apart.

They may be the "same" press but they are from different castings and if I was buying a new one I would go with Old World.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users