7 replies to this topic

#1 Matt Weber

Matt Weber

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,522 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 03 June 2007 - 07:01 AM

Those that have been around for awhile here know that we have not allowed retailers to advertise and promote. However, I have invited David Starr of Chile Forge to the forum to share his knowledge of forge construction and his products.

I can ensure you that I have in no way been compensated by Chile Forge. I am so impressed with David's forges I think it would be a shame not to let him share his knowledge.

I purchased his Habanero forge at the Madison event. I will not go into all the construction details or features, because that info is on his site. However I will tell you this. They are VERY well built and get VERY hot at low psi. Once mine was out of the box and set up, I was forge welding in 15 minutes at 10 psi of pressure. For fun, I cranked it up to 15 psi and could hardly see the metal anymore due to the bright yellow sodium gas flare. Didymium glasses would be a plus here. I have no doubts of his claim that this forge will reach 2600 degrees. Once the forge heats up, you can easily perform general forging operations at 4-5 psi. Even when running a single burner. David also designed his burners to mount on a 2" piece of sch 40 pipe. This is real handy for turning them away from the wind or swapping them over to another nearby forge. It seems he has taken the time to tune these burners as well because I have seen very little scaling as well.

I've built three forges and they are fun to build. However, none of them performed like this. Forges are expensive to build as well. After your materials, insulation, ceramics, pipe fittings, regulators, etc. These forges can't be beat at this price.

http://www.chileforge.com/index.html

#2 Deafboy

Deafboy

Metal Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 07:08 AM

I've seen this website a while back. Looks sweet. [hysterical]
looking forward to David††posting up here...
Dan~ Posted Image

#3 PTsideshow

PTsideshow

Since I can no longer post here, I am longer doing any moderatio

• Moderators
  • 8,479 posts
  • LocationMount Clemens,Mi

Posted 03 June 2007 - 07:16 AM

I For fun, I cranked it up to 15 psi and could hardly see the metal anymore due to the bright yellow sodium gas flare. Didymium glasses would be a plus here.

http://www.chileforge.com/index.html

speaking of didymium glasses
This outfit has a wide and varied sellection of glasses sheilds and goggles along with a host of pyrex glass tubes for lamp/light, lantern, lens covers in large dia.and almost an endless assortment of stuff that you didn't know you needed.[Har Har]
I for one welcome him and his expertise to the forum.
[hysterical]
glen

Posted Image

"I am not ashamed to admit, that I am ignorant of the things I do not know"!

Cicero

I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!

All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

#4 Matt Weber

Matt Weber

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,522 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 03 June 2007 - 07:22 AM

speaking of didymium glasses
This outfit has a wide and varied sellection of glasses sheilds and goggles along with a host of pyrex glass tubes for lamp/light, lantern, lens covers in large dia.and almost an endless assortment of stuff that you didn't know you needed.[hysterical]
I for one welcome him and his expertise to the forum.
[Peace}

PT, you are like the Cliff Clavin of MAF![Laugh][Har Har]

Great link! Keep em coming.

#5 ShawnM

ShawnM

Local Sheriff

• Moderators
  • 4,139 posts
  • LocationGeneva, FL

Posted 03 June 2007 - 08:08 AM

Quote of the week:

PT, you are like the Cliff Clavin of MAF!

[Peace}[Har Har][hysterical]
ShawnM
Super DUPER Moderator

‚ÄéReality leaves a lot to the imagination ~ John Lennon

Visit my website: Soleil MetalArts
Facebook Fan Page

#6 PTsideshow

PTsideshow

• Moderators
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 08:43 AM

[Cool]Don't know the afore mentioned gentleman, but thank you just the same.[Peace}[Laugh][hysterical]
[Har Har]
glen

Posted Image

Cicero

All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

#7 Matt Weber

Matt Weber

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,522 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 03 June 2007 - 08:48 AM

[Cool]Don't know the afore mentioned gentleman, but thank you just the same.[Beer][Beer][hysterical]
[Peace}

He was a character on the 80's sitcom, "Cheers"

Whenever someone in the bar would bring up a topic, Cliff always had the inside scoop on it. Like he carried an encyclopedia with him.

It was a joke and a compliment.[Har Har][Laugh]

#8 PTsideshow

PTsideshow

• Moderators
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 09:20 AM

[hysterical] ok Ratsbreger from the made in America show haven't seen many sitcoms. And missed every episode of quite a few. [Laugh][Har Har]. No Offense was take as I have worked as the bozo in the dunk tank and have been wet all shift more than dry all shift[Laugh]
[Peace}
glen

Posted Image

Cicero

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users