3 replies to this topic

#1 Hollywood

Hollywood

Skilled Metalsmith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 10:42 AM

Is it possible to patina Galvznized steel like sheet metal or will it have to be a faux texture?

#2 ornametalsmith

ornametalsmith

Ornamental metalsmith

• Metal Artist Forum Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,029 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 01:51 PM

Is it possible to patina Galvznized steel like sheet metal or will it have to be a faux texture?

although the term "patina" is used many different ways....if you mean patina.....as in "oxidation layer" or coloration. THEN the answer is faux. [Welcome]
the reason they put Zinc (galvanization) on steel is so it won't react with the atmosphere and rust or oxidize.
You could play with zinc patinas.....I guess. I believe you can "chemically darken" zinc.

I just played with some......silver oxidizer turned the galvanized sheet surface a shade of brown. Gold oxidizer turned the surface a shade of black. And gun bluing also turned the galvanized surface black. fwiw [Smile]
Bill
http://www.CustomDesignMetalArts.com/
http://www.FloridianForge.com/

Class/Workshop info:
http://www.customdes...com/studio.html
Specializing in: Teaching and Making
hand forged and cast works of Metal Art.
Crafted with the utmost attention to detail.
For discriminating tastes and opulent surroundings

Posted Image

#3 PTsideshow

PTsideshow

• Moderators
  • 8,479 posts
  • LocationMount Clemens,Mi

Posted 02 February 2007 - 02:02 PM

You can oxidize the zinc to a white/greyish powder. I have a sheet of some galvanized that has started to corrode/oxidize where something was spilled or dripped on it. can't remember what did the deed.[Welcome]
The Eastwood web site has a number of OEM finishes in a can that gives the goldtone, the green goldtone, and other factory finishes. They even have a satin finish clear overcoat for the bare metal factory finish. Supposed to protect against corrsion ect. check out the sections on coating.Eastwood.
The only thing you have to remember is the standard disclaimer about welding/heating galvanized metal and zinc poisoning, ventilation, ventilation.
glen

Posted Image

"I am not ashamed to admit, that I am ignorant of the things I do not know"!

Cicero

I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!

All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

#4 Stretch

Stretch

Metal Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 06:38 PM

I got a chemical up here in Canada from Canadian Finishing systems that is supposed to turn galvanize black. It does but i bought it for its ability to turn copper and brasses black. The Instablack I got for turning steel black works better on the copper, or faster on the copper so have not used it. It does turn galvinize black if you clean it first with acid.
Hope this helps

[Welcome][Smile]
Stretch

www.redwillowforge.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users